• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Can you post direct download links for apps

RizbIT

OK sometimes your app may not get published by the App Stores, but they still maybe great app ideas..

So can you post direct links (on GMS forums) to app files like apk or ipa files so that users can download them to their computer and manually install them.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
ninja'd...
Yes, that's allowed here. Check the Made with GameMaker forum, and you'll find a few non-Google links to .apk files, for example. Very few... but they are there.

In general, I think people are more comfortable using Google play and the Apple App store. And they prefer not to change their security settings to allow non-playstore downloads and installation.

P

PhenomenalDev

You can however I believe you can no longer install a ios app from a file without Jailbreak if you are past an iphone 4 (may be wrong about that).

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
You can however I believe you can no longer install a ios app from a file without Jailbreak if you are past an iphone 4 (may be wrong about that).
That's a good point. I haven't kept up with the various copyright challenges Apple has brought. Copyright laws vary by country, and they don't apply uniformly to all iOS devices. And even where it's allowed, it will likely void your Apple warranty. (And possibly expose you to security risks.) I think this is also true for software that digitally "re-signs" iOS apps... but not sure.

It's up to iOS device owners to manage their own affairs, and follow the copyright laws in their countries, of course. But this is probably the main reason we don't see many non-AppleStore apps here.

P

PhenomenalDev

That's a good point. I haven't kept up with the various copyright challenges Apple has brought. Copyright laws vary by country, and they don't apply uniformly to all iOS devices. And even where it's allowed, it will likely void your Apple warranty. (And possibly expose you to security risks.) I think this is also true for software that digitally "re-signs" iOS apps... but not sure.

It's up to iOS device owners to manage their own affairs, and follow the copyright laws in their countries, of course. But this is probably the main reason we don't see many non-AppleStore apps here.
There are ways around it but it's really not worth it so looks like the app store is the only way :(

RizbIT

ive heard Apple are strict with app approvals esp if the app is a novel concept or does something which the phone was not designed for.

So sometimes developers may have no other option but to release as .ipa files and let users manually install.

P

PhenomenalDev

ive heard Apple are strict with app approvals esp if the app is a novel concept or does something which the phone was not designed for.

So sometimes developers may have no other option but to release as .ipa files and let users manually install.
Lel well RizbIT if you can work out how to do it then more power to you man and good luck ;)

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Let's discuss this in Off Topic now, since the subject seems to be more related to copyright ("jailbreaking") and not really about GMC rules.