• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

iOS Can you develop for ios on windows?

V

vince_m726

I've tried googling this and found all sorts of results, like, first I hear that you need this thing called xcode, then I hear you don't need it, and I hear apple won't let you publish to the app store if you don't have a mac?? That last part is what I'm confused about. Am I like actually allowed to develop for ios on windows, in gamemaker? I have the ios module thing, so I'd like to use it...

If I can't, how can I get around it? Can I just use a virtual machine/have windows and mac os installed (dual booting?), and switch to the mac os to use gamemaker, without getting into any problems? And if there's no way to use gamemaker, then is there another way?

Thanks in advance.

A

Ampersand

I've seen tutorials on how to do so on YouTube and such, but from my own personal research it appears you need an OS X device.

From personal experience - albeit very limited - you need a mac device. This has xcode on it. You also need a developer license from Apple, which I think is around £90 a year. You can make the game on your windows device, then test it on apple devices and finally create it with the developer key on your Mac.

So you can make it on your windows device, but you need a Mac still. There may be ways to circumvent this but I'm pretty sure this will be against the t and c of apple, so at your own risk. Maybe a friend can lend you their mac for a couple of hours when you need it? Just a thought.

V

vince_m726

YYG have some official guides on development for and distribution to iOS, so make sure that you check them out: [1] [2] [3] [4]
This helped a lot, thank you. Seems even if I want to just develop on windows I need a mac.
Though I'm still confused about one thing. It was mentioned a few times using a virtual machine "isn't supported" by gamemaker. Does this mean it's illegal and I'm gonna get 💩💩💩💩ed if I do that? I feel like I should give up trying to do this without a physical mac by this point but...