• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Can we... Mirror the Magic wand cusor?

DeScruff

I don't know if anyone else has this issue, but personally I just can't get used to the Magic Wand cursor in the image editor, because it is pointing to the right!
Ive never seen any other program that has a mouse cursor cursor that points to the right, and I can't tell you how many times Ive clicked on the wrong pixel, because 20 years of using a PC with a GUI has taught me that mouse cursor icons point left.

It honestly feels as awkward to me, as using my left hand for things I primarily use my right hand for.
I'd also like to point out, its the only tool that the cursor points to the right

EDIT: Apparently having mouse cursors pointing to the right is a left handed thing, which makes that awkward "wrong hand" feeling accurate.

Last edited:
T

T-bond

Nice catch. I haven't noticed because I don't use the image editor too much personally, but it is also irritates me. :)
I don't think it is such a huge task to fix it.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You could.... in theory, copy the skin folder, remove the layouts folder, and then rename the new one to "dark_left" (or light_left if you copy the light skin) or something, the go into the cursor folder(s) and flip all the images in there. shouldn't take long to do..... then you'd have a left handed skin.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You could.... in theory, copy the skin folder, remove the layouts folder, and then rename the new one to "dark_left" (or light_left if you copy the light skin) or something, the go into the cursor folder(s) and flip all the images in there. shouldn't take long to do..... then you'd have a left handed skin.
That's not the issue... it's the fact that the magic wand uses a left-hand convention when all the other cursors and tools follow a right-hand convention. The colour-picker: bottom left, the paint bucket: bottom left, the pencil: bottom left, the paint selection tool: bottom left... the magic wand? Top right!

And I want you to know @DeScruff that you've just ruined my night... :( I never noticed this till now and it's going to bug the hell out of me forever more!

P

psyke

OMG, you're right I've never noticed this, now I can't get it out of my head as well. :eek:
Also something I noticed is that the Replace Color Tool has the same hotkey as the Rotate Brush Tool (U), is this a bug?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Just looked - and yeah, its the other way.

But then... the target of the pencil, paint etc are all at the bottom, because well.... you point pencils and brushes downwards to use them. Magic wands are held up to use them. Never seen a magician point his wand at the floor to make a rabbit appear. It the "top" of the wand waving upwards. hence a wand points up. :)

DeScruff

Just looked - and yeah, its the other way.

But then... the target of the pencil, paint etc are all at the bottom, because well.... you point pencils and brushes downwards to use them. Magic wands are held up to use them. Never seen a magician point his wand at the floor to make a rabbit appear. It the "top" of the wand waving upwards. hence a wand points up. :)
Yeah... but normally mouse icons for right handed use point left, as noted: every other tool points left except for that tool.
I know it wouldn't look pretty in the UI because of how everything is " / " but... there is a reason every image editor Ive ever used (Paint.net, Gimp, Photoshop, Seashore) has the magic wand's mouse cursor pointing " \ " ways.

Last edited: