• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Mac OSX Can someone point me to the right direction for using motion controls from a gamepad controller in Game Maker?

B

bell02alpha

I am currently trying to prototype a game that uses motion controls from a game pad. I have seen and read through what the manual said on motion controls, but they seem to be limited to smart phones. Is game maker able to use motion controls of a game controller? Do I need to purchase some kind of console tier platform service to get some kind of specific library access that would handle that kind of motion control? Is there some kind of add on or modification or script that I should take or use on gamemaker? Is there a PC controller with motion controls suggested from/by the community that I can test and make my prototype for that is compatible with the base Game Maker Motion Control functions? Should I just use another engine, instead?

Thank you for all the help! (I would prefer some kind of code help in GM scripting language or a coding language if needed, over the visual Gamemaker language, if possible, Thank you)

obscene

Zero experience on this but just throwing it out there... get the gamepad axis count on your device and see if there are more than 2. Get those values and see if they are what you need.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I don't know MAC OSX very well. But you should be able to look in whatever OSX's version of a Control Panel is under the gamepad settings. It should have settings that show you the connected gamepads and what all axes of inputs, etc... that there are on it being detected. I'm guessing if you see the motion controls there, then Gamemaker would be able to read it using the regular Gamepad functions.

And yes, the motion controls in the system are meant for smartphones and tablets, so unless I'm mistaken they won't work for this.