Can me and my friend use the same account ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

onur

I've bought humble bundle version of Game Maker Studio and sadly my friend missed that oppurtunity i have a question about this:

Can my friend use my bundle with his E-mail? I mean can i give authority to his computer or his account to use my Game Maker Account so we can create games together ? Or does he have to buy his full version(HTML,ios,android modules etc.) of game maker ?

V

vidokas

I've bought humble bundle version of Game Maker Studio and sadly my friend missed that oppurtunity i have a question about this:

Can my friend use my bundle with his E-mail? I mean can i give authority to his computer or his account to use my Game Maker Account so we can create games together ? Or does he have to buy his full version(HTML,ios,android modules etc.) of game maker ?
no you can't share license.
but he can use standart edition for free.
and you can export game later

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The EULA restricts usage of a single license key to up to three machines concurrently using the same license key, with the added note that all of said machines must be solely owned and used by you. Therefore, no, that would be illegal. He will need his own license key.

I second suggesting to your friend to start out with the free Standard version of GM:S (he can grab Pro at any time should be deem it required), as it includes all features you need to start making games. You can't make games for all platforms with it, but a beginner's goal should be to figure out whether they can comfortably use GM:S before delving any deeper (committing to the purchase of a product before knowing whether you'll be comfortable using it is never a good idea), to learn how to program using it and to make a lot of simple games or just experiments to collect experience before even thinking about publishing, anyway.

rIKmAN

with the added note that all of said machines must be solely owned and used by you.
I've seen this posted a few times now, and it's literally unenforceable, pointless and one of the most ridiculous caveats I have ever read.

I'm breaking the EULA when I go to my parents for Sunday dinner and my Dad uses my laptop to check his lottery numbers or do some online banking?

Let's not get silly.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Technically, yes... but I'm not the one writing the EULA, I'm just re-iterating what's written in it. If you have an issue with this term, you should contact YoYo Games directly through their official helpdesk and state your concerns - the GMC is community-driven, and the only time you'll see any YoYos here is during their spare time (like that even exists), so you will likely not be heard by your target audience here.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Breaking a EULA is not illegal
If you are in breach of the End user license agreement, then we are within our rights to revoke your license. So just like a contract, if you choose not to abide by the agreement you agreed to when you installed the product, you forfeit your rights to use it, and any money paid for it.

This is what EULAs are about. You don't own the product, you license it's use. If we spot an account or license being abused, we will terminate it. We've had cases before where we've found a single user sharing his key he bought online so anyone could use it. This is obviously a breach of the EULA, so that key was invalidated, and he lost his purchase.

GameMaker: Studio has a personal license. Only you are permitted to use it on up to 3 machines. Accounts are never shared.

The free Standard version certainly has everything you'll both need to get going.

I'm breaking the EULA when I go to my parents for Sunday dinner and my Dad uses my laptop to check his lottery numbers or do some online banking?
How is that breaking the EULA? Letting someone else use your laptop for something other than GameMaker cannot be breaking the EULA. This would be like MicroSoft saying that because you have Windows installed on your laptop, then only you are allowed to use that laptop.

A EULA is restricted to only being enforced for the piece of software that it is for, not everything on your laptop.

rIKmAN

How is that breaking the EULA? Letting someone else use your laptop for something other than GameMaker cannot be breaking the EULA. This would be like MicroSoft saying that because you have Windows installed on your laptop, then only you are allowed to use that laptop.

A EULA is restricted to only being enforced for the piece of software that it is for, not everything on your laptop.
Not sure why you quoted me, when you are agreeing with me?
I have no idea how that could possibly break the EULA, which if you read my post you would see I think is unenforceable and a ridiculous caveat.

I used that example in response to the part of the following quote I have made bold:

The EULA restricts usage of a single license key to up to three machines concurrently using the same license key, with the added note that all of said machines must be solely owned and used by you.
It says the machines must be solely owned and used by me, not the software.

Obviously my Dad isn't using GM, but that's not was said - it says he can't use my machine - which as I said is ridiculous.

What @Mike said sounds correct, only on 3 machines I own and only me using GM, which is completely reasonable, but the wording I quoted above doesn't say that - it specifically says "machine" and doesn't mention software at all.

E

Ethanicus

Not sure why you quoted me, when you are agreeing with me?
I have no idea how that could possibly break the EULA, which if you read my post you would see I think is unenforceable and a ridiculous caveat.

I used that example in response to the part of the following quote I have made bold:

It says the machines must be solely owned and used by me, not the software.

Obviously my Dad isn't using GM, but that's not was said - it says he can't use my machine - which as I said is ridiculous.

What @Mike said sounds correct, only on 3 machines I own and only me using GM, which is completely reasonable, but the wording I quoted above doesn't say that - it specifically says "machine" and doesn't mention software at all.
I should think it was specified somewhere that "solely" really meant "mostly."

@rIKmAN I was not aware that I could only quote someone if I was going to disagree with them :D You should raise the problem with the "...and used by you" part of the EULA with YoYo support as @TsukaYuriko said. It is most likely that part of the EULA was more likely meant to be something like "...all of said machines must be solely owned by you, and the GM software only used by you." Which makes a bit more sense. But, hey, I'm not a lawyer so wording of licence agreements is a bit out of my scope.

rIKmAN

@rIKmAN I was not aware that I could only quote someone if I was going to disagree with them :D You should raise the problem with the "...and used by you" part of the EULA with YoYo support as @TsukaYuriko said. It is most likely that part of the EULA was more likely meant to be something like "...all of said machines must be solely owned by you, and the GM software only used by you." Which makes a bit more sense. But, hey, I'm not a lawyer so wording of licence agreements is a bit out of my scope.
haha, and yeah I agree I think it's that the software (GM) should be solely used by the person with the licence and it's just bad wording in the EULA.

N

NPT

Here's an idea, if you guys are going to comment on the language used by the EULA, perhaps someone should quote what the EULA actually says.

1.2. You must not:
...;
without a further Licence, use the Software on more than three computers at the same time where you are the sole user and owner of the computers on which it is used and do not provide access nor permit the use of the Software by others;

@NPT True, we probably should have quoted the actual EULA. However the gist of it is still the same:
1.2. You must not:
...;
without a further Licence, use the Software on more than three computers at the same time where you are the sole user and owner of the computers on which it is used and do not provide access nor permit the use of the Software by others;
The bold bit is clearly indicating that the computer must only ever be used by you (the owner), so in effect what @rIKmAN is saying is still true as it is trying to say that nobody else is allowed to use the computer than has GM installed on (regardless of whether they are trying to use GM or not). It is probably just a bit badly worded.

rIKmAN

Here's an idea, if you guys are going to comment on the language used by the EULA, perhaps someone should quote what the EULA actually says.
@TsukaYuriko already confirmed he was reiterating what was in the EULA in his response to me near the top of the thread.

@Mike Could you please clarify whether this is correct or is a badly worded clause?

N

NPT

@NPT True, we probably should have quoted the actual EULA. However the gist of it is still the same:

The bold bit is clearly indicating that the computer must only ever be used by you (the owner), so in effect what @rIKmAN is saying is still true as it is trying to say that nobody else is allowed to use the computer than has GM installed on (regardless of whether they are trying to use GM or not). It is probably just a bit badly worded.
Yes, that's what the bold says, but you can't just neglect the rest of the sentence. It changes the "gist" dramatically.

@TsukaYuriko already confirmed he was reiterating what was in the EULA in his response to me near the top of the thread.
So what? When one is interpreting contract language, you absolutely never interpret what somebody else "reiterates". That's non-sense.

@Mike Could you please clarify whether this is correct or is a badly worded clause?
Why do you need @Mike to clarify if that quote is correct, look it up.

You all are neglecting the part of the quote, "..and do not provide access nor permit the use of the Software by others;".

One of the first steps in Contract Law to resolving disputes is to attempt to determine intent. That statement is a key component in determining intent, it clarifies that when installing on more than one computer, one must take precautions that only the license holder is to be using it.

The intent is certainly not to prevent one's parent from checking their lottery tickets. No reasonable person should be interpreting it that way.

Is the language awkward, yes, EULAs like most contracts often are. For instance, I would not have used "sole user and owner of the computer", That too is messy, doesn't allow for multiple user accounts on a shared computer, nor using Studio on a computer that one doesn't own. But that still doesn't make it prohibitive from determining intent.

It would have been easy for YYGs to put in their EULA, you can only install it on one computer.

But they realized that that creates developmental constraints. So they added a caveat to allow developers to install it on multiple computers (with the intent it not being shared).

Don't be looking at the EULA as being excessively restrictive, instead interpret as it was intended, excessively permissive, allowing us to install it on more than a single development machine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roderick

Really, the issue could be resolved by changing one word: "solely" to "primarily". If the owner of the license is the primary owner and operator of the computer, and no secondary users are permitted unlicensed use of the software then the revised wording is followed precisely, with no ambiguity.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say with complete authority on what it means if suddenly a lawyer says it means something else.

However, I will say the installing on a machine you "own" will probably be to stop you installing it at school etc. where others could get to use it. "Family" computers are still machines owned by family members and are recognised to be a shared personal asset. But if you installed it on a school/university machine, then that's allowing anyone to basically use it. All contract law is based around reasonable use/expectations, and it's reasonable to accept you'll install a product at home on whatever machine you use, and not unreasonable to expect you won't install it at school so everyone can use it.

As said, we can't list everything and don't try to. The EULA has been through numerous lawyers, so it won't be changing - they're happy with the wording, and no one here can say it's not "right", so it stays as is.

again... not a lawyer, just my take on it. I've found most lawyers to be pretty reasonable when dealing with T&Cs. They "want" you to use the thing, and if its stupid, people won't.

Z

zendraw

what if were a couple of guys using the same software? lets say were making a game together. which im pretty sure every studio does.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
what if were a couple of guys using the same software? lets say were making a game together. which im pretty sure every studio does.
GameMaker: Studio has a personal license. Only you are permitted to use it on up to 3 machines. Accounts are never shared.
1.2. You must not:
...;
I think this topic is just going to go around in circles. If you have a serious doubt about the EULA you should contact YoYo Games support to get the official word on it as noone here is in any capacity able to talk about the true legal definition since we are game makers and not lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.