• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Can I record/store in-game audio for later replays?

so basically I want to record the audio when a player plays the game, and store the audio to replay later in the game.

Like a game replay with ghost players, but audio in this case. Players are able to "create" their own music while playing the game.

Can I do this with gamemaker? I searched and find something called "audio buffer," can this be the solution?

Thanks.

I'm not familiar with recording output, but an alternative option, just to lay on the table, is to store each call to audio play or stop in an array of struct commands, each containing the index of the sound, the exact step it was triggered, the type of command like an enum stop/start/etc, and having it recreate these events with a playback function.

(FMOD Studio has this functionality built in with Command Replay. I'm nearly done with a Game Maker extension for it if you'd possibly be interested.)