• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Asset - Extension Can I publish a game that uses extensions from the marketplace?

S

Simulacron

I looked for an extension on the marketplace and found one for free, the question is: Can I use this extension in my game if I want to publish it? I know it sounds silly, but I want to make sure I'm legaly right and don't use somebodys work I'm not allowed to use.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Most likely. You can see if there's any license information included with an extension, such as whether it can be used in commercial products.

sylvain_l

default EULA for marketplace assets allow such use ;) (you can publish a game exe, just not distribute the code source... or sometime it's the opposite if GPL or alike)

just check, that the author didn't replace it with something else, or added some restriction (some asset are under GPL, or other open source license, perhaps also creative common)

Sammi3

And for good practice, download the licenses that you get for each individual marketplace item you are using a project and date them. Helps if the license was changed on a future revision of an item but you are still using an old revision.