• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Can I make a game like interactive-story in GMS 2.3???

Petrik33

So, yeah, I guess this sounds like a question from a noob programmer. But in fact it is) My programming as well as game development experience is very short yet, so although I feel myself quite comfortbale with programming on GML I am still not sure can it hold some of my ideas: so in this case the interactive-story game. I know that probably anithing can be made on any engine, some people even tend to make 3d games on GMS but I don't want to be in such a situation.
So, here comes the question: Will it be possible to comfortably make a game, hugely depending on the non-linear plot, so thereafter depending on the player's decisions???
Maybe it will be better to try leaving the comfort zone and learn new programming languages and engines already?? (I will do it some time later anyway, the question is should I make another game on GMS or try something new straight after finishing the current GMS project?).

chamaeleon

Yes, with the caveat that string manipulation is not the strongest part of gms. Visual and interaction aspects should not pose any large obstacles for the most part.

Posh Indie

That Guy
You can (Of course).

Yes, with the caveat that string manipulation is not the strongest part of gms. Visual and interaction aspects should not pose any large obstacles for the most part.
Luckily, there are great people like @Juju who create things that make life much easier, though, when you encounter these situations.

Scribble is fantastic. I have not played with Chatterbox, but have seen some neat things made with it. People have combined both of the above and had achieved fantastic results.

Pixel-Team

Master of Pixel-Fu
If branching dialog and player choice based dialog branching is something you want to look into, your best bet is to look into a tool that will allow you to author the branching dialog itself. This can be done with a text mapper. An example can be seen HERE. Your game script can get saved to a JSON file, and then read into your Gamemaker Studio game. This is definitely not a noob topic, but it's a critical area of study if you ever want to obtain game dev mastery. If it seems like a daunting task, then chances are you are not quite ready, and you're best to stick to the fundamentals until you get stronger skills. Best of luck!!

Petrik33

You can (Of course).

Luckily, there are great people like @Juju who create things that make life much easier, though, when you encounter these situations.

Scribble is fantastic. I have not played with Chatterbox, but have seen some neat things made with it. People have combined both of the above and had achieved fantastic results.
Hey, this fantastic!! I have read through just some of the features of the Scribble and it really inspired me to take my idea much more seriously with GML. Really honestly, thank you and everybody who replied!

Petrik33

If branching dialog and player choice based dialog branching is something you want to look into, your best bet is to look into a tool that will allow you to author the branching dialog itself. This can be done with a text mapper. An example can be seen HERE. Your game script can get saved to a JSON file, and then read into your Gamemaker Studio game. This is definitely not a noob topic, but it's a critical area of study if you ever want to obtain game dev mastery. If it seems like a daunting task, then chances are you are not quite ready, and you're best to stick to the fundamentals until you get stronger skills. Best of luck!!
Heyyy, damn guys, you know, I am actually in love with Game Maker COmmunity for a long time, but this time I feel like crying:) This is the second one problem that really bothered me, but the extension you've attached is also amazing! And as for the realization of this stuff, I hope I can cope with it, I am surely not new to JSON format but really new to dialogue braching, although I feel myself very excited about learning more. Again... Everybody, Thank you very much!