• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion Can GMS 2 run games at full 60 fps (sustainably)

A

Aeternum-Studios

It is a concern, when attempting to bring a fast paced game to life, that the previous iteration of the software ran most games (from what I have seen) at 30 fps. Has there been information released to address that, or does anyone know from their experience with the new software?

csanyk

30 fps was the default for GMS1 projects, and 60 fps is the default for GMS2 projects. Whether your project can hit it or not depends on you, and the hardware you run it on. But yes, it's entirely possible to run a game at 60fps.

A

Aeternum-Studios

30 fps was the default for GMS1 projects, and 60 fps is the default for GMS2 projects. Whether your project can hit it or not depends on you, and the hardware you run it on. But yes, it's entirely possible to run a game at 60fps.
Thank you. Our project is 16-bit, so that shouldn't be much of an issue so long as we don't make rooms too large. Have you come across anything that seems to cause dips so far?

csanyk

Thank you. Our project is 16-bit, so that shouldn't be much of an issue so long as we don't make rooms too large. Have you come across anything that seems to cause dips so far?
GMS2 compiles to 32bit or 64bit depending on the build target. I take it you mean a retro styled game. GameMaker is great for 2d retro games.

There are many ways to get poor performance out of GameMaker. Read the tech blog articles on performance optimization, and the drawing pipeline, and learn how to use the profiler, and you'll be well equipped.

Z

zendorf

I am working on 2 full HD games and they both run flawlessly at 60fps on low end hardware (hd4000) . The change to DX11 in GMS2 has made a massive difference in frame rate for my games.

Bingdom

Googledom
Set the sleep margin to 10ms if it isn't already. It should help bring it to a reliable 60fps

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Just to point out that GMS 1.4 and GMS 2 are perfectly capable of running games at 60fps (or more), even large ones. Hyperlight Drifter runs at a smooth 60fps and my game Skein (which can have various thousands of instances active with AI in a room at a time) also runs at 60fps (actually runs at a real FPS of 300+). It all depends on how you program it and how efficient you are with the code.

Juju

Jobo

GMC Elder
Just to correct: GMS2 also defaults to 30fps. We will add a preference to change the default fps for new projects, however. This is due to cross-platform support and 30fps is the framerate that is less likely to cause problems across all supported platforms. So this makes it easier for new people coming to GameMaker Studio.

K

Kios

Read the tech blog articles on performance optimization, and the drawing pipeline
I guess we can assume that they are all still valid for GMS2.
After the new software moves out of beta, maybe it would be good if they do a new "how to code efficiently with GMS series". I mean the new version seems way more performant from what i've seen.

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
GMS2 is so versatil that you also can have a simple 2d game that runs at 10fps if you poorly code it...

csanyk

I guess we can assume that they are all still valid for GMS2.
After the new software moves out of beta, maybe it would be good if they do a new "how to code efficiently with GMS series". I mean the new version seems way more performant from what i've seen.
I expect much of it to continue to hold true. But I agree, it would be good to have them revisit areas that have changed under the hood and let us know stuff that we shouldn't bother with any more, and new stuff to do instead.