GML Can GM:S or GMS2 execute a python code/program?

Antikore

Sorry if this may not be the correct sub-forum to post this. (I don't have access to Advanced sub-forum and I didn't want to ask for permission for just a random question.)

It doesn't need to be on the actual IDE, the only thing I could need its somehow the python code and my game be able to interact each other and the python code be capable of using any necessary libraries.

If possible, GM:S 1.4 comes more handy to me right now but any helpful information is welcome! :D

chamaeleon

As far as I'm aware there is no Python extension like there is for Lua. Your requirement "be able to interact" is nebulous, and leaves a lot of uncertainty what you would find acceptable. If you mean call a function and get the result back seamlessly (not through files or network communication), you're going to spend quite a bit of time implementing a serialization and communication protocol both in GML, and in C plus Python.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
im sure you can find a python extension for gms 1.x on the marketplace

but gms does not natively support python

Antikore

As far as I'm aware there is no Python extension like there is for Lua. Your requirement "be able to interact" is nebulous, and leaves a lot of uncertainty what you would find acceptable. If you mean call a function and get the result back seamlessly (not through files or network communication), you're going to spend quite a bit of time implementing a serialization and communication protocol both in GML, and in C plus Python.
Ah, don't worry, I wanted to try to use MoviePy and then GameMaker Studio to make some kind of video editing software as its more comfy to me than using python's window libraries.

The interaction would be the process of the video rendering

I don't think LUA has a library like moviepy

im sure you can find a python extension for gms 1.x on the marketplace

but gms does not natively support python
I know, I found one but looks like experimental rather than useful for my concept.

chamaeleon

I stand corrected, I could have sworn I had searched the marketplace before for a Python extension and not found one. But I guess there's at least one there.

Antikore

It's actually possible to do something like "py main.py" in cmd but in GMS?
It's most likely to be the easiest way to do what I want

chamaeleon

There are extensions in the marketplace (not sure about the status of them for GMS 1.4) that allow you execute another executable (in this case, the python interpreter executable) with any required command line arguments. Just keep in mind this will not be something running within your GMS program, it will be a separate program with or without its own console or window.

https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/575/execute-shell is one.

Antikore

There are extensions in the marketplace (not sure about the status of them for GMS 1.4) that allow you execute another executable (in this case, the python interpreter executable) with any required command line arguments. Just keep in mind this will not be something running within your GMS program, it will be a separate program with or without its own console or window.

Okay, thank all you so much :D

Antikore

How can I download it? May I login on GameMaker to get the marketplace stuff or there is another method?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
You can log into the Marketplace from within the IDE using your YoYo Account. You can download them and add them to your project from there.
You can also log into the Marketplace website using your YoYo account and obtain the asset there. The corresponding button will then be replaced with a download button.