• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Can GM:S list available data members while writing code?

M

Mauldini

I'm guessing GM does not compile in real-time and Visual Studio does, allowing VS to list available data members using the '.' or '->' operators while editing code. Right now it seems to work well with resources, functions and constants.

I'm left wondering if something exists or can be made to list data members while I code. Does anyone know any info on this?

Thanks,
B

jo-thijs

GM does not support this.

It would also be kind of hard, seeing as the available "members" of an object can vary over time during run time.
It is also difficult to find every possible variable, as with structures are not always clear in what objects they can add variables.

Enums could have this feature though.

M

Mauldini

GM does not support this.

It would also be kind of hard, seeing as the available "members" of an object can vary over time during run time.
It is also difficult to find every possible variable, as with structures are not always clear in what objects they can add variables.

Enums could have this feature though.
Do you think is possible to make an extension for GM to do this?

Maybe keeping the list in real time would be too complex, but even updating available data members per object each time the game compiles after running would help a lot.

jo-thijs

Well, you can create your own code editors to use in GameMaker,
but I haven't got the slightest clue as to what such editors could do or how they are build.

If code editors can have access to every action in every event of every object and access to every script and room creation code and instance creation code,
then it might be theoretically possible, but it'd be incredibly difficult, because of the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

It might be possible though to have a pretty close approximation, I'm not sure.

I

icuurd12b42

you could go back and forth between a js project in MS Dev Studio and GM...
Code:
var obj_Player = new function ()
{
    //common vars
    x = 0;
    y = 0;
    xprevious = 0;
    yprevious = 0;
    //var in create
    //function create()
    {
        m_MyVar = 10;