Can DND be used to make 8bit platformers?

H

Heroscratch

Hey all!

Like the title says, I'm just curious if GMS2's DND could be used to make a platformer like MegaMan, Super Mario Bro's 3, or Kirby etc.

I want the game to to have maybe 10-15 stages, different abilities/powers from items or bosses, item menu etc.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
DND technically can handle about anything that actual GML code can. The issue is more along the lines of it getting unwieldy as more code/blocks gets added. More complicated code(like AI for example) takes more code, which starts to get bulky with d&d. It can also get bulky with code, but generally is less so. This is the main reason people recommend going to GML as soon as possible, not because the d&d can't technically do the same things.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'd say the main reason people on the GMC recommend going to GML as soon as possible is because it's like 100 times easier to share code in forum discussions than it is to share DND... you get syntax highlighting and all the details with code, while you either have inert screenshots or inaccurate descriptions if you want to show someone your DND.

But to answer your question, though: yes. And here's the proof, some video footage from 9 years ago when I still used DND.

H

Heroscratch

Thanks for all the replies! They've all been very helpful!

I'd say the main reason people on the GMC recommend going to GML as soon as possible is because it's like 100 times easier to share code in forum discussions than it is to share DND... you get syntax highlighting and all the details with code, while you either have inert screenshots or inaccurate descriptions if you want to show someone your DND.

But to answer your question, though: yes. And here's the proof, some video footage from 9 years ago when I still used DND.
Ohh, nice! That project actually gives me a lot of hope for mine! :) The game I'm planning wouldn't be super complex, so hopefully DND works fine; just like.. 12-15 levels, a menu, ability to move, switch out weapons, dash, break blocks etc and that's about it.