• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

CALLING ALL OLD GM USERS (Plugin Archive)

C

cabledragon

I'm looking for ANY and ALL legacy GM plugins. Not Studio or Studio2.
Specifically plugins that are compatible with GM8.1.
GMtoolbox used to be my goto for all of these plugins but they are almost all dead links now and I'm calling upon the community to dig through their old files and post them here so I can archive all of them. One out of desire to have them all before I can no longer get them, but also for preservation's sake. I would happily keep and maintain a google drive link to all of them that I will attach to this thread as they begin to pile in.

[Edit: Deleted any mention of personal reasons for this archival. I believe to remain on topic and in the spirit of progress, this thread should remain unbiased in it's reasoning for this archival and let the official motto of this thread read as follows.]

This thread stands to serve as an archive for GM8.1 plugins and extensions, for those who wish to have access to them for any reason, and to do what they will with the software they serve to extend.
In order for this process to continue with best intentions please keep discussions that lie outside the realm of contribution, research, or information relating to these plugins to their own unique threads. Thank you!
If you have files that you do not possess the rights to and there are no licenses present within the file's archives please message me about which plugin it is and I will do my best to reach the original creator in obtaining the rights to use these files. Thank you!

I'm going to be doing my part by scavenging through the Internet Archive to see what I can find. Some of these plugins are still available on various backups they have available, feel free to go hunting through this too if you think you have any good leads on where to find them.

Thank you for your time and everyone have a radical day!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
GM8 is already at the cusp of compatibility issues (not as bad as GM6 stuff that needs a special hack to run on modern windowses, but it's just a matter of time). Last time I checked, the open-source clone of GM8/GMS1 was still being worked on (but with even grander ambitions than last time - just the thing a project that's crumbling under its own weight needs) so if you specifically want a GM8 that lasts forever you might wanna look into that. GMS2 being around more or less obsoleted it in my opinion, but it should also mean it's not a direct competitor to Yoyo anymore... you win some, you lose some.

H

HalcyonFlux

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I not only miss GM8, but the community that surrounded it. We had gems such as FoxEngine, NetRead, and Saudio. Brilliant games such as Jumper and Hover Tank 3D. The biggest mistake by YYG was deleting the old GMC, and destroying over a decade of history.

I have a folder with some DLLs and old games. I'll be sure to post them next time I'm on my computer

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The old GMC was a big security risk, so I can understand the decision to let it go - if they'd kept it, it'd put the new GMC and everything else on Yoyo's servers in danger. (Remember, it was hacked several times!). Long forgotten dusty old forum posts isn't where the community is at, it's in the people - and the people have changed both as individuals and as a collective in the years past, so we won't get the same community back no matter what superficial measures we'd deploy. It's just the way of life.

BiTrunade

The old GMC was a big security risk, so I can understand the decision to let it go - if they'd kept it, it'd put the new GMC and everything else on Yoyo's servers in danger. (Remember, it was hacked several times!). Long forgotten dusty old forum posts isn't where the community is at, it's in the people - and the people have changed both as individuals and as a collective in the years past, so we won't get the same community back no matter what superficial measures we'd deploy. It's just the way of life.
Looking back at the amateurish 13-year-old kid I was in the forum, I can understand what you mean, almost everyone in the forum has matured personally, professionally, etc., YoYo Games as well had matured into a more professional brand than it used to be. Many developers raised the bars for their games, especially with the new powerful version of GameMaker (GMS2.3). I remember back in the days when "Is this REALLY made with GAMEMAKER?!" was a thing, I remember when Crime Life 2 was the top-rated most played game on the sandbox, I remember Sakis25, and many others, but that was back. Now, the way I see it, hobbyists and Passionists have evolved into indie devs, or simply left. I miss GamingEngineer.

C

cabledragon

While I appreciate everyone's ambitions and opinions, I would like to keep this topic related to the searching, retrieval, and archiving of gm8.1 related plugins and extensions. Please take any discussions outside of this topic to a new appropriate thread. This is the primary reason I kept mention of my reasons brief in the description. I would love, if possible, to keep this topic on track and get it moving forward. I will edit my first post to clarify this and make a statement here that no matter the reasons, this thread stands to serve as an archive for these plugins for those who wish to have access to them and to do what they will with the software they serve to extend.

More on topic however, thanks for the offer Halcyon, I'm both anxious and excited to see what you dig up. I too have few files on old harddrives, but I have to go to the storage facility they reside at before I'll be able to put them together.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Please note that redistribution of other people's assets is not something we can allow on here, as this borders on copyright infringement. Posting and assembling a list of links to any official downloads made by the original author is fine, but we can't have people re-uploading files if they don't have permission by the original author (or the file's license agreement) to do so.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Re-upload my stuff, I personally don't care and actually would appreciate having mirrors.

Here's a video player for GM 8.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xW6RtsOp3VKDJmeqj1b_HUzZY6xUqEpi/view?usp=sharing

Which happens to be a lot better than the built-in splash video function. More supported formats, and can also play audio files of nearly every kind (not just video). Has support for nearly everything libmpv can do out of the box.

C

cabledragon

Please note that redistribution of other people's assets is not something we can allow on here, as this borders on copyright infringement. Posting and assembling a list of links to any official downloads made by the original author is fine, but we can't have people re-uploading files if they don't have permission by the original author (or the file's license agreement) to do so.
Of course, I suppose I should have been more prescient in regards to this matter, but I figured it was implied that this was to be a more legitimate endeavor and there will not be any copyrighted or otherwise illegal content being made available here. The vast majority of these plugins and files came with copies of their licensing agreements within their original archives. I will mirror the below in the original post but...

If you have files that you do not possess the rights to and there are no licenses present within the file's archives please message me about which plugin it is and I will do my best to reach the original creator in obtaining the rights to use these files. Thank you!

Re-upload my stuff, I personally don't care and actually would appreciate having mirrors.

Here's a video player for GM 8.1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xW6RtsOp3VKDJmeqj1b_HUzZY6xUqEpi/view?usp=sharing

Which happens to be a lot better than the built-in splash video function. More supported formats, and can also play audio files of nearly every kind (not just video). Has support for nearly everything libmpv can do out of the box.
Excellent, thank you for your contribution. As soon as I gather the first lot of files together I will get something more manageable up. The initial plan is a drive setup considering I think these files will be downloaded sparingly but if anyone wanted to throw up a simple front end for organization purposes, I would not be opposed. Something Akin to GMToolbox with descriptions, a search function, and drive links would be plenty. But until such a time arises that someone decides to tackle that task, we'll just stick with raw links.

Last edited by a moderator:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
I think an important first step would be to establish which DLLs are missing.

Some can be found, some can be replicated (mind, most GM8 DLLs weren't very complex)

Of my work:
Although old versions have historical value, I probably wouldn't use them these days - just so much has been added/changed - e.g. a lot of my recent extensions and DLLs use buffer_get_address and buffer_(get|set)_surface as communication through writing to a file was just so much slower.