Buying GM2 from g2a... is it legit?

I found a few *CHEAPER* deals for GameMaker Studio 2 on g2a.com:

https://www.g2a.com/gamemaker-studio-2-desktop-game-maker-gift-europe-i10000169381002
https://www.g2a.com/gamemaker-studio-2-desktop-game-maker-key-global-i10000169381001

These are really helpful considering I don't have much money at the moment... but there aren't any customer reviews. The sellers have a good standing, but...

Has anyone used this site? Are these legit? How do they work?
I see one is a steam gift while the other is a key.. how do those work? (Is it one-time activation, etc.)
Also, I live in the US, does that affect anything?

OR

Do you think I should just wait till Black Friday to see if I can get a similar or better deal on steam?

EDIT:
I also found another one here:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/gamemaker-studio-2-desktop

cgPixel

HumbleBundle is legit, just another sales channel from YoYo Games.
G2A is a marketplace for private merchants (everybody can register as a seller), buying keys from there is kind of risky (YoYo Games isn't affiliated with G2A).

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
YoYo doesn't say anywhere on its website that sales on this site are recognized or supported. It's a caveat emptor situation. Take it or leave it.

Personally, I think it's absolutely cheap and stupid of you to ask questions like this about third-party piracy/resale sites on YoYo's home turf.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Personally, I think it's absolutely cheap and stupid of you to ask questions like this about third-party piracy/resale sites on YoYo's home turf.
I think he didn't know that's what it was, as it is quite obvious he is asking whether it it is legit (i.e. legal and dandy, or pirated and stinky, a virus, etc.)

But i think he should know the answer, it's obviously pirated, looking at the seller names.

C

Cowlord

G2A is like eBay only instead of preventing fraud they give you the option of paying a few extra bucks to get a replacement key if you were scammed.

It's a market for anyone to resale keys they don't want, so the developer doesn't get a cut. The key will work, but I agree with previous posters that they are not a good or moral company.

Dog Slobber

I think it's important to let people know that it is against the terms of the EULA to buy games from g2a (and other such re-sellers) as they are not an authorised store (note that Humble Bundle is an authorised seller, as is Steam). This means that anyone buying from them can have their licence key revoked at any time. See section 4ii: https://www.yoyogames.com/legal/eula
Doing so would be a violation of EU law. "An author of software cannot oppose the resale of his ‘used’ licences allowing the use of his programs downloaded from the internet".

This was determined in UsedSoft v Oracle in 2012.

https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-07/cp120094en.pdf

No such protection exists in the USA and Yoyo Games can legally enforce section 4ii of their Eula.

Having ssid that, buying second hand keys online is often a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
G

Glyph

@Nocturne - What has suddenly changed? IIRC Yoyogames said you can give away or do whatever you like with any unused keys you may have. Take humble bundle deals and the likes.

Even @GameDevDan was giving away excess keys for a prize in one other the GMC jams many moons ago.

I must admit I gave away an unredeemed Humble Bundle key once. I guess I am a 'Pirate' now am I?

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC Yoyogames said you can give away or do whatever you like with any unused keys you may have.
I must admit I gave away an unredeemed Humble Bundle key once. I guess I am a 'Pirate' now am I?
Giving away is considerably different to selling. Did you sell your unused keys, or did you simply give them away (like a gift or a prize)? I see that there is quite a bit of difference.
G2A is selling the licences, not giving them away, but they are not an authorised reseller like Steam or Humble Bundle.

G

Glyph

Giving away is considerably different to selling. Did you sell your unused keys, or did you simply give them away (like a gift or a prize)? I see that there is quite a bit of difference.
G2A is selling the licences, not giving them away, but they are not an authorised reseller like Steam or Humble Bundle.
Fair enough, I gave the key away free in my case. I don't need 7 licenses of GMS 1.4.

Although this still 'violates' 4ii in the EULA apparently, under 'distribution'.

However an employee of YYG, stated you can give away keys.

https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...over-humble-gamemaker-bundle.6556/#post-47684

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I'd really like to believe YoYoGames is not a dishonest company, who breaks European laws, but it looks like Nocturne and Dog Slobber might have confirmed that with combined info... Unless I'm missing something.

ATY@Y@

We’ve noticed some unusual purchase activity on Humble, whereby a large block of licences was recently purchased and refunded. These licence codes will be deactivated in a few days. These codes may appear for sale on various reseller sites such as G2A. G2A is not an authorised reseller of licences, and if you are purchasing from G2A or other similar reseller sites there is a risk that you are buying licence codes that have been acquired fraudulently, and which will be de-activated. If you purchase one of these codes, you will need to take it up with the seller, so please beware.

Dog Slobber

I'd really like to believe YoYoGames is not a dishonest company, who breaks European laws, but it looks like Nocturne and Dog Slobber might have confirmed that with combined info... Unless I'm missing something.
Referring to Yoyo Games as dishonest in excessively harsh.

I think they are mistaken regarding the EU law of reselling digital licences, but being incorrect isn't necessarily dishonest.

Last edited:

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
I once bought DARK SOULS III from g2a and a few hours playing later I got a Steam notification the game got removed from my library, fromsoft decided it.
I did go through enormously hard steps trying to contact g2a (very cryptic and hidden), and got my money for the key back.
Waited for a sale and used that money to buy the official game in the sale.

Amon

We’ve noticed some unusual purchase activity on Humble, whereby a large block of licences was recently purchased and refunded. These licence codes will be deactivated in a few days. These codes may appear for sale on various reseller sites such as G2A. G2A is not an authorised reseller of licences, and if you are purchasing from G2A or other similar reseller sites there is a risk that you are buying licence codes that have been acquired fraudulently, and which will be de-activated. If you purchase one of these codes, you will need to take it up with the seller, so please beware.
This is the reason to stay away from sites like G2A. They do not vet sellers or verify the legitimacy of pretty much anything that gets sold via their channel. The official channels for purchasing are there and verified in order to protect you and save you from crying later when your license is deactivated.

As for YOYO being dishonest................Nah!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Yeah, my fears are propably irrational. I'm influenced a bit by another community I associate too much with.

GameDevDan

Former Jam Host
GMC Elder
Even @GameDevDan was giving away excess keys for a prize in one other the GMC jams many moons ago.

It should be noted that

1. If you're going back through old posts of mine, remember I used to work at YoYo Games. Any keys I gave away during my time there were "official".
  2. I think I've only given away 1 key since leaving (correct me if I'm wrong) and I asked YoYo Games for permission first. That makes a huge difference.