• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Buying game currency with real life money: Where to start?

Phoebe Klim

Hey, all!

While I'm not working on my main project I am tinkering with my side project, a singleplayer CCG.

It's almost for the alpha release, so it's about time to think about monetization.

Since I have already tried selling game on Steam, I'm thinking about making game free-to-play this time.
Free-to-play as in you can play for free, but if you pay, you can progress faster.

In my CCG there's currency called tokens and you can buy new cards with tokens.
Currently, all tokens come from in-game missions, but I want to make tokens buyable with real life money.

I believe I need some sort of service that would handle all those real life transfers.

I also need to store game data in some better place than INI files. Why would you buy tokens if with few simple steps you can add septillion tokens to your save file? =P

So, basically, I don't even know where to start!

What should I do to make tokens buyable with real life money?

I'm not asking if its ethical, worthwhile, etc =P
I just want to know how to do that if I decide to actually do that.

rIKmAN

Use consumable IAPs if you are targeting mobile, check the IAP section of the manual for info on how to get started and implement those.

Desktop you will have probably have to look at using your own server to keep track of users data, tokens bought etc and authenticate everything so it can't be easily hacked client side.

Phoebe Klim

Use consumable IAPs if you are targeting mobile, check the IAP section of the manual for info on how to get started and implement those.
I don't have mobile exports yet.
Desktop you will have probably have to look at using your own server to keep track of users data, tokens bought etc and authenticate everything so it can't be easily hacked client side.
So how difficult is that? Right now I'm sitting with like average 20$ monthly income, limited internet connection, and 0 networking experience.