• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Buyer's Remorse for Gamemaker 1.4. Any Advice?

So I bought a couple of copies several years ago when HumbleBundle offered them, (one for myself and one for a friend if I ever got one of my friends interested in designing a game with me). Learning about game design is one of my hobbies--but I somehow never got around to actually using them, and now I'm hearing they're no longer supported and everything has moved to GMS 2.

Should I just buy the new version when it goes on sale?

Should I stick with what I already have?

Should I even bother tracking down the last few GMS 14 export modules I don't have so I don't feel like a complete idiot for somehow having the Windows version of Gamemaker Studio 14 but NOT the Windows Export modules?

Does anybody else have this problem too?

Vusur

How tight is your wallet? If you can afford GM 2 without hurting your savings, go for it. It has really neat functions. Especially with structs now.
Does it hurt your wallet? Save up and go for a long run. In the meanwhile, get some experience. There are many abstract concepts to learn, independend from the actual tool you use later. Seeing it live can be an eye opener.
Once you have saved up enough, switch the tool and you have already cut some corners. Relearning the tool is a given. That is always a "problem" when switching tools. It botches the workflow for a few days/weeks, but the experience you gained will make up for it.

Good news! According to my account, I actually *did* purchase the Windows Export thing for GMS 1.4! :D But I have no idea what I'm looking at on the account screen. Some of these things say "OWNED" and have a button next to that. Some of these have the button but don't say "OWNED". But all say I purchased them.

HayManMarc

Good news! According to my account, I actually *did* purchase the Windows Export thing for GMS 1.4! :D But I have no idea what I'm looking at on the account screen. Some of these things say "OWNED" and have a button next to that. Some of these have the button but don't say "OWNED". But all say I purchased them.
Contact yoyogames directly and ask them. You'll get the correct answer for sure.

csf91

Maybe then it will interest you to know the news: GMS2 for learning is now free (Official post in the YoYoGames blog, posted yesterday, June 30th) (go to the downloads page from the main site to see it on the versions list as well).

I would potst the link here but then 100% this will get moderated, since i didn't notice i had a account on the main site but not here (GMS 1.4 user).

Yeah, I noticed GMS2 going to a free version--a few days after I went ahead and bought it using the discount!
😆 I mean I'm really glad they did this, but my timing sucked. lol
Still, glad I at least have it now. :)

rIKmAN

Yeah, I noticed GMS2 going to a free version--a few days after I went ahead and bought it using the discount!
😆 I mean I'm really glad they did this, but my timing sucked. lol
Still, glad I at least have it now. :)
You can't export in the free trial, so your purchase wasn't wasted as now you can compile your games and send/host them for others to play easily.

Ya, I remember that Humble Bundle, it was incredible, only $15 for the full version with a ton of exports. You can't have buyers remorse with that price, along with the fact that you can still build a project in it then when it's done import into GMS 2.x.