• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Buy Windows version and upgrade later to WEB

C

Cologny

Hi, i'm thinking to buy the software and develop a game. Firstly i want to buy the windows desktop version, develop the game and test it on pc. After this I want to publish the game as a browsergame in the web, do I get problems if i upgrade the software later on to WEB-version and compile the developped game to HTML5, do i have to make changes to the finished windows version game? Or is this easily possible...?

Best regards!

gnysek

It is possible, that there will be some bugs (the more complex is game, the more bugs may be), and some functions may not work in HTML5 (but then it's mentioned in manual - http://docs2.yoyogames.com ) - so you may not be able to play game directly after buying HTML5 extension, but it may be that you fix it in 20-30 minutes. There's no general rule, but I've exported about 30-40 projects in my life and they were usually working without problems. The only one I remember was setting image_index = -2 (don't know wy my mate made this), which caused sprite to not animate on HTML5, while it was working on windows, but documentation only says about setting it to -1 so it was more his fault (even if on Windows this works). If you avoid stupid mistakes like this, you will probably go to HTML5 without bigger problems. Just read manual carefully.

C

Cologny

Ok, than i will try to develop it firstly with the cheaper version of windows... Thanks a lot... Regrads, Cologny

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The Web module is not in any way an upgrade... buying Desktop and Web would result in owning licenses for both of them. The Desktop module lets you export to desktop platforms (Windows, OS X, Ubuntu) while the Web module lets you export to HTML5. Buying only the Web module would leave you without export options for the desktop platforms.

If any part of your game requires platform-specific functionality, that will have to be programmed additionally for each target platform you want to export to (example: Keyboard controls vs. touch controls for mobile targets). Everything that is platform-independent will not need to be adapted.

C

Cologny

Hi, thank you, for me it was a missunferstanding, i thought each higher (expensiver) version inlude als the lower ones...means web includes windows...therefore I bought the web version... :-(