Buttons, Design, and GameMaker Studio 2.3

MeBoingus

A useful tutorial for people just starting out, for sure.

The only flaw I could see is that the tutorial is incredibly drawn out for something that could be summarized in 2 minutes or less.

samspade

Next video is up. In this one I cover adding a simple active check and hover state to the buttons along with a discussion about diagramming your code.

samspade

Next video is up on adding sounds! My apologizes for the quality of the digital zoom, but hopefully it is better than no zoom at all.

I'm also working a code summary video which will just be all of the code in one video, no talking, to serve as a reference for everything without the detours and explanations.

samspade

Slider tutorial!

Also, I know at the end of this video I say that it'll be keyboard interactions next, I won't be. I forgot I have to fix the second hovering problem first - but the keyboard interactions are coming - also the keyboard interactions are probably the last thing I do before doing it all again in 2.3!

samspade

New tutorial on making a mouse manager!

Interacting with a keyboard was supposed to be next, but due to the surprise release of 2.3 to everyone, I've decided to immediately start doing 2.3 videos now that people can follow along if they wish. I'll do the keyboard interact stuff towards the end. So, very next video is 2.3! I've already recorded most of it.

samspade

First 2.3 Tutorial is up! If you're not using 2.3 you should because it is awesome.

There's still a few videos in 2.2.5 that I'm going to do (radio buttons and keyboard events) but the next few sets of videos will be 2.3 because it's more fun for me :)

samspade

Important note! Somewhere in the editing of this video I cut out an important part caught by Karlstens. The variable "selected" must be initialized somewhere. I added it as an object variable to the button_parent object with the type of boolean. My apologizes and I'll try to mention this error in the next video as well.

New 2.3 Tutorial on the Mouse Manager!

At present, I plan on having two more topics which will probably be a couple more videos, a combined 2.2 and 2.3 video on using the keyboard to interact with these buttons and a video on exporting and using this in other projects.

Last edited:

samspade

New tutorial on the start of implementing a keyboard manager! It was so long (which is why there was a delay) I decided to break it into two parts.

samspade

New tutorial on connecting the button graph from the prior video to the buttons so it is actually useful!

I only have two videos left in this series, both of which are finished and uploaded and scheduled for release on Wednesday!

samspade

The final two tutorials are out!

Creating a local asset package:

A review of different design ideas:

Perhaps I'll return to this series someday as there are many more interesting buttons to create, but I'll leave them for another time.