business side of things...

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Sean Catherine, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

Is it better to create business as "corporation" or "llc" for the purpose of publishing/ selling games based in USA? Also, which is better for selling games overseas?
    I've had two llc businesses already for my interior painting both in NJ and OH and I like it —hope I could do that with game project.

2. Pfap

Pfap Member

I just started an LLC, pretty much just because you need to be an "actual" company to publish with Apple. Although, I recently found out that there is a whole branch of lawyers for these sorts of questions and I imagine someday I'll have to talk to one. So, I think an LLC should be fine as long as you don't have stock for sale or are in a weird situation.

3. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

Yeh. I have a legal zoom account, and I might decide to pay a few hundred dollars for service to explain some of this —that is, if they could explain it...

4. Pfap

Pfap Member

Not sure if it is the same in every state, but in Wisconsin I think I payed $120 to register a name. It was on some government website. I'm not sure how legal zoom works, but do they do that service charge stuff where instead of costing just $120 to register directly they will charge you a service fee? Personally, I am trying to spend as little as possible on legal stuff until I make some money.

5. Yal

Yal Member GMC Elder

I read a TLDR about this a few months ago, and from what I remember, LLCs (Limited Liability Corporations) essentially acts as a buffer so that if you mess something up, people will sue the company instead of you, and since the company has limited assets, there's a limit to how much money you lose if something goes terribly wrong. It probably has other uses as well, but that's the only part I remember. (The article also pointed out that it's not 100% waterproof, because there's several ways you can become liable - if you don't do company-related stuff often enough, courts may judge you're just using it as a buffer and claim it's invalid, and acts like punching people in the face can't be construed as acting as the company rather than yourself)

6. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

When did Apple change their policies from allowing you to publish as an individual?

7. Pfap

Pfap Member

I'm not sure, I actually may have misspoke.

8. sitebender

sitebender Member

I've had a LLC for 2.5 years. LLC allows for flexibility to pay taxes annually or quarterly. I went with the quarterly, because it's 15% rather than 30% annually. From what I hear Legal Zoom's basic costs of $500 - $1,000 don't give you much more than going to the actual government website. You still need to fill out the same forms. I've seen many forum threads where new game developers fall into the Legal Zoom trap.

Other places to register your business? Lawyers, banks, accountants.

9. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

Although I've not been the happiest with them all of the time, the registered agent service was easy to work out. I suppose I was wondering mostly about what form of business works best for both overseas and at home.