ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
GM Version: GameMaker: Studio 1.4 or GameMaker Studio 2
Target Platform: Windows
Download: n/a
Links:

Summary:
A few (ok a lot) of people have asked how I did the whole twitch implementation for Tribal Tension and my stream. It's pretty easy and can be done without actually knowing anything about networking because kbjwes77 has done it all for you.

Here's a video tutorial on setting up and using his github project to work with just twitch chat, say things to a chat, recieve info from a chat, just by calling his ace scripts.

Tutorial:

M

Misu

Finally! A reason to actually use my Twitch account! Thank you

@ShaunJS I am not sure if this is necesary or not.

Could specify what this is and is it needed to allow Twitch games work?

Last edited:

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Finally! A reason to actually use my Twitch account! Thank you

@ShaunJS I am not sure if this is necesary or not.

Could specify what this is and is it needed to allow Twitch games work?
I'm not 100% sure but I'm fairly sure it's unnecessary for simple stuff like what is covered in the tutorial. I set mine to localhost and it just sort of works. Probably worth investigating if you do anything particularly serious but for getting started don't worry about it I guess? haha.

Edit: I believe it's largely to do with apps that connect to users accounts in some way. Enabling you to get oauth keys from them other than by using the twitchapps site in the video.

I'm usually reluctant about putting out tutorials with so many things i dont really understand properly being involved but as I say, what I have works!

Juju

OAuth is a hole down which you do not want to fall. Twitch chat runs on IRC, that OAuth system accesses user profile features and isn't necessary for simple integrations.

M

Misu

Eh, whatever, I made myself a Pixel Paint thing with twitch.
Kind of like the one in reddit except with an input format required. The format for input is !p(x,y)color (which x and y are replaced with the number of the xy coordinates, and color is replaced with the name of the color)
https://www.twitch.tv/misumeow

Last edited:
C

CHOPSTEEQ

This is a great tool and a useful tutorial. I think I know what my next personal challenge project will be!

S

sephosiris

Hey man, i followed your tutorial and its awesome but, I always get the below message.
Have also tried changing ports using 80, 443 back to 6667 etc

Connecting to 'irc.twitch.tv' [52.43.80.54]
Socket timeout connecting
Failed to connect to 52.43.80.54 on port 443
Message sending failed, check connection and message content
Total memory used = 4364869(0x00429a45) bytes
Pause event has been registered for this frame
Pause event has been unregistered
TCP socket closed; disconnected from chat.
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0

any ideas?

tearzz

Hey man, i followed your tutorial and its awesome but, I always get the below message.
Have also tried changing ports using 80, 443 back to 6667 etc

Connecting to 'irc.twitch.tv' [52.43.80.54]
Socket timeout connecting
Failed to connect to 52.43.80.54 on port 443
Message sending failed, check connection and message content
Total memory used = 4364869(0x00429a45) bytes
Pause event has been registered for this frame
Pause event has been unregistered
TCP socket closed; disconnected from chat.
Attempting to set gamepadcount to 0

any ideas?
NOTE: You have to use irc.chat.twitch.tv to connect!

Hey mate, another great tutorial.
I saw you got that error and yours went away. mine wont for some reason and was just wondering if you have any ideas?

of Create Event
for object <undefined>:

string_pos argument 2 incorrect type (undefined) expecting a String (YYGS)
at gml_GlobalScript_ProcessCommands (line 1) - if (string_pos("!hello",argument1) == 1)
############################################################################################
gml_GlobalScript_ProcessCommands (line 1)

chamaeleon

Hey mate, another great tutorial.
I saw you got that error and yours went away. mine wont for some reason and was just wondering if you have any ideas?

of Create Event
for object <undefined>:

string_pos argument 2 incorrect type (undefined) expecting a String (YYGS)
at gml_GlobalScript_ProcessCommands (line 1) - if (string_pos("!hello",argument1) == 1)
############################################################################################
gml_GlobalScript_ProcessCommands (line 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.