• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Build failing

csanyk

I bought the Desktop license today, so now I can build my project for release.

I can build with a Windows VM build target, but not using YYC -- nothing gets created. The ouput window shows the following:

Saving project to: C:\Users\csanyk\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Projects\GMS2_GML\GMS2_GML.yyp
"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.27/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\build.bff" -- Windows PackageZip

Loaded Macros from C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2_GML_B5E270D6\macros.json
Target Options: C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2_GML_B5E270D6\targetoptions.json
OptionsIni
Options: C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2_GML_B5E270D6\platform_options.yy
TargetPreferences: C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2_GML_B5E270D6\preferences.json
Target Options: C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2_GML_B5E270D6\targetoptions.json
[Compile] Run asset compiler (YYC)
C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c ""C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat" && "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.27/bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe" /c /zpex /mv=1 /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /gn="GMS2_GML" /td="C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2" /cd="C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2_GML_B5E270D6" /zpuf="C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\chris_195" /m=llvm-win /tgt=64 /llvmSource="C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.27/yyc/" /nodnd /cfg=default /o="C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2_GML_46ACD804" /sh=True /optionsini="C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2_GML_46ACD804\options.ini" /tp=2048 /cvm /baseproject="C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.27/BaseProject/BaseProject.yyp" "C:\Users\csanyk\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Projects\GMS2_GML\GMS2_GML.yyp" /bt=exe"
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe exited with non-zero status (1)
elapsed time 00:00:00.1520000s for command "C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.27/bin/Igor.exe" -options="C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\build.bff" -- Windows PackageZip started at 11/22/2016 10:42:51 PM
The one thing that stands out, I highlighted yellow. Why can't GMS2 find my .yyp file? Actually I don't think it's the .yyp file that's missing, but one of the other files in the list... not sure which one; will be looking for each of them and see which are missing.

How do I fix this?

Last edited:
M

mdbussen

Does the file exist on your system at this path? It's possible something got messed up during the installation I suppose.

If the file does exist at the specified path than I don't know what to tell you!

csanyk

I think I figured it out. Looks like I need to install Visual Studio 14.0.

I parsed out the highlighted text from the Output pane, breaking out the various file paths onto their own line, and then went looking for each one, allowing me to more easily ignore the command line flags. This was my findings:

C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c FOUND

"

"C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\Tools\vsvars32.bat" MISSING

&&

"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.27/bin/GMAssetCompiler.exe" FOUND

/c /zpex /mv=1 /iv=0 /rv=0 /bv=0 /gn="GMS2_GML" /td=

"C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2" FOUND

/cd=

"C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Roaming\GameMakerStudio2\Cache\GMS2_GML_B5E270D6" FOUND

/zpuf=

"C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Roaming/GameMakerStudio2\chris_195" FOUND

/m=llvm-win /tgt=64 /llvmSource=

"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.27/yyc/" FOUND

/nodnd /cfg=default /o=

"C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2_GML_59A65900" FOUND

/sh=True /optionsini=

"C:\Users\csanyk\AppData\Local\Temp\GameMakerStudio2\GMS2_GML_59A65900\options.ini" FOUND

/tp=2048 /cvm /baseproject=

"C:\ProgramData/GameMakerStudio2/Cache/runtimes\runtime-2.0.1.27/BaseProject/BaseProject.yyp" FOUND

"C:\Users\csanyk\Documents\GameMakerStudio2\Projects\GMS2_GML\GMS2_GML.yyp" FOUND

/bt=exe"
Follow up: Can someone from YYG recommend which MS Visual Studio edition to install?

Can I use the Visual Studio Code edition, or should I stick with Community or Professional?

MOD EDIT: Merged double posts

Last edited by a moderator:

csanyk

Thanks for the help, @Nocturne.

I knew there was a requirement for VS2012 Express for doing YYC builds in GMS1.4, and I tried searching for the requirement for 2.0, and didn't find this page; I guess google hasn't caught up yet with the changes to the site.

Oddly, GMS2 had its Preferences configured with a default directory for where Visual Studio would be installed if I had that version installed, even though that directory didn't exist until after I tried to do a YYC build and found out that I needed to install a new version of VS. Since I didn't realize that 14.0 was VS 2015, I assumed it was pointing to my existing VS2012 install directory, which added to my confusion. Then, even after I downloaded 2015 Community Edition and installed it, it still wasn't working (I had not found your help article the first time I installed it, so I omitted the C++ and Web Developer Tools from the install, which apparently was my problem.)

Question: The Help article you linked to makes it look as though I could install Visual Studio Community or Visual Studio Code:

upload_2016-11-23_2-9-51.png

Is that correct? And Visual Studio Team Services does not appear to be necessary, can you confirm that?

At any rate, I have now installed VisualStudio 2015 Community Edition, with the C++ and Microsoft Web Developer Tools options, and on my system they were installed to the default location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\ -- and now it's building successfully. Good!

I guess it was the C++ and Web Developer Tools that were missing when I tried a default install the first time that caused the build to fail. Thanks for pointing this out. It might be a good idea to make it more visible in the IDE (like on the Start Page as one of those tips that you get when you launch).

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
VS 2015 Community only is required... I'll see about making the image in the article clearer and about adding these things into the GMS start screen. :)