• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Buggy Pause Menu

F

FragMe

I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this issue with the pause menu. When trying to scroll through the options or make a selection sometimes the key press does not register and doesn't do anything. I followed this tutorial by HeartBeast multiple times and wrote everything out word for word and I still can't figure out what is causing the problem. I even scoured through every comment on that video and the 'part 2' he put out and couldn't find anybody else with this issue.

I'm positive its not just my keyboard messing up as I can type perfectly fine and everything else I have in the game works properly. I'm on day three of trying to figure this out and I've done everything I could think of. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.

chamaeleon

I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix this issue with the pause menu. When trying to scroll through the options or make a selection sometimes the key press does not register and doesn't do anything. I followed this tutorial by HeartBeast multiple times and wrote everything out word for word and I still can't figure out what is causing the problem. I even scoured through every comment on that video and the 'part 2' he put out and couldn't find anybody else with this issue.

I'm positive its not just my keyboard messing up as I can type perfectly fine and everything else I have in the game works properly. I'm on day three of trying to figure this out and I've done everything I could think of. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
How many show_debug_message() statements do you have in your code to trace which code path is being taken, what values important variables have or functions return?

F

FragMe

Uh..none. I didn't even know that was a thing. How would one implement that?

chamaeleon

Uh..none. I didn't even know that was a thing. How would one implement that?
Just write
Code:
show_debug_message("<something meaningful like a variable name> = " + string(variable_name));
as much as needed in Create or Step events primarily (but not exclusively if there are other events that are relevant, like collision, mouse events), before and inside if statements and loops, etc. If you cover the important parts of the code you should be able to determine which path is not taken or what variables are not changing as expected in order to produce the desired result.

F

FragMe

So I ran it with the show_debug_message and if I'm understanding it correctly something is going on with the alarm.