• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Bugged Mouse-/Text -Cursor in Code-editor

ZeDuval

When I place a workspace on my second monitor and open a script there, my Cursor changes to something that looks like the letters T and I next to each other, basically like T I only thinner. If I only use one workspace and open up the code-editor, the mouse-cursor changes to the normal text-cursor. Is this a known bug? Anything I can do to fix this by myself? I'd like to clamp my mouse-cursor between the normal arrow and the normal text-cursor. :)

PS: How the f to make a screenshot that includes the mouse?!

ZeDuval

Allright, in case someone else might have/get this problem:

It seems to be an rather old bug that can happen with ati or nVidia card. Affected by this cursor "disortion" problem is always the second monitor. Another "trigger" might also be having the monitor view rotated...which is exactly my setup.

I've read about a lot different solutions, where some of them work for some people and some don't. I know now that the problem vanishes when I set my second monitor back from portrait-mode to landscape-mode(no solution for me, the widescreen-monitor used upright is awesome for coding :D ). The only other workaround is in my case to activate the pointer trails in the mouse settings... I think this setting should actually be forbidden and the programmer punished somehow, well where was I? Right now it's the only thing I can do, so I'm gonna place a shortcut to the mouse properties on my desktop. o_O Changing the Scheme or enabling/disabling pointer shadow sadly doesn't work.

All possible solutions I've tried can be found here and here.

Oh well.

L

LarryP

Unfortunately those two links did not help my issues. I have been working on this all week and all morning and have tried everything I can think of. I am lost for ideas now. I hope you find a fix soon, good luck. If I come across any info that may help you, I will post it here.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
I can't find the settings in Windows 10, but in older versions of windows there is a troubleshooting panel for display settings. There you could lower the hardware acceleration used by Windows . As I recall, one step down would disable the hardware cursor. It would often fix problems like this.

L

LarryP

I think that was in XP. I don't know of anything like that in Win7. There is a performance adjustment but it only has two options. It's called Performance Options\Advanced tab. The two options are Programs or Background services. It's the same place to change Virtual memory.

There are also the Power Options tab that lets you fine tune the power level you chose but it's mostly things like Sleep for the display and hard drive, etc..

I bookmarked your GMLscripts.com site. What an excellent site! Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
Windows 7 has very similar settings as Windows XP. This is Windows 7 but XP is almost identical.

Windows 8.1 has it to, but the route to get there may be a little different.

Windows 10 has a similar route, partially through their simplified control panel. But the "Troubleshoot" tab is missing from the "Display adapter properties". This may be a vendor problem rather than a Windows 10 problem, so it is worth looking for on your system if you run Windows 10.

L

LarryP

My tab to adjust the acceleration is grayed out. :( Good pictures!

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
We don't use any of that for rendering, so changing it will do no good. We get the current DPI level from windows, but nothing else.

Hyomoto

I have two monitors and I haven't had any issues yet, so I apologize if this is turns out useless. I know that earlier Photoshop versions like mine (CS5) have problems with the cursor and Windows 10 dpi scaling. I know you said it only happens on one monitor, but as @Mike pointed out, they are using the DPI scaling and it's possible this is the issue. Apparently the fix is either to disable dpi scaling, as in the gif below, or you can change your scaling to 1% more or less, so 150% use 149 or 151 instead. It works for me, so maybe it's worth a shot.

L

LarryP

I don't know why, but my "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" is grayed out?! I use Win7 Pro. I have never seen this grayed out until now. Dang.