1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

GM:S 1.4 Bug when using draw event

Discussion in 'Programming' started by GamemakerFreak123, Jun 25, 2016.

1. GamemakerFreak123

GamemakerFreak123 Member

Hi everyone.

A friend of mine has this annoying problem. Typically when using the draw event or using custom backgrounds, instead of just a blank color, the game draws letters and symbols all over the screen (Please see the first screenshot). It looks like it's drawing all the symbols supported by a normal font, but i'm not sure. Other strange things has happened too, when exporting the game, for android (See second screenshot). Has anyone experienced this before? He did try to reinstall GMS but without luck.

Thank you for your time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Surgeon_

Surgeon_ Symbian Curator

This happened to me a few times. The problem was usually fixed by clearing the compiler cache. Though one time I found out that I was using draw_sprite_part() (or draw_background_part()) and had accidentally put arguments which attempted to draw a part of the sprite (or background) larger than the resource itself. Once I fixed that I had no further problems.

-Surgeon_

3. GamemakerFreak123

GamemakerFreak123 Member

Thanks for your reply. He tried clearing the cache. Didn't help, though nothing happened when he clicked the button. When i click it i get a message saying target cleaned. We didn't do anything odd when drawing, like using draw_sprite_part. We just set the background in the room editor.

4. CoderJoe

CoderJoe Member

Could you maybe post the code? It definitely looks like a font set. Not sure why this would happen.

5. GamemakerFreak123

GamemakerFreak123 Member

Yes. I thought about font set too. Just can't figure out why. The code that causes it is this:

When deleting this code, the game works fine... Weird though.

6. Surgeon_

Surgeon_ Symbian Curator

Did you try using a different font? (draw_set_font(font))

-Surgeon_

7. zDami

zDami Guest

(i'm his friend) Yes, i tryed.. deleting the string of code of the message "press r to restart" the bug disappear.... but there is the visual bug ,like in the second screenshot, on android test...

8. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Do you use surfaces? This kind of issue is most commonly seen when using surfaces and not clearing them first.

9. zDami

zDami Guest

can "draw_clear_alpha(c_white,0)" resolve the second bug?

10. GamemakerFreak123

GamemakerFreak123 Member

Hello everyone and thank you for your answers.

Yes we are using surfaces, but i tried removing the objects that uses surfaces, and the bug is still there.
    I think i should also mention that when i run the same project on my computer, the game works fine, so it's only on his computer it doesn't work.

11. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Okay, so what makes his PC different? List your specs and his specs (processor, GPU, OS version) and we'll see what we can see there...

12. zDami

zDami Guest

ive got a hp laptop , windows 8, intel i7 4500U cpu 1.80 GHz 2.40 ghz , 6 GB RAM, 64 bit

Attached Files:

• gpu.PNG
      gpu.PNG
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  13. GamemakerFreak123

GamemakerFreak123 Member

Asus Laptop
    Windows 10
    Intel Pentium CPU N3530 2.16 GHz 64-bit
    8 GB DRAM

GPU:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  14. GamemakerFreak123

GamemakerFreak123 Member

Please help. He did even reinstall Windows. Didnt help.

15. R34LD34L

R34LD34L Member

Could that be a texture page problem this is so weird:eek:

16. HermitPal

HermitPal Member

Out of curiosity what version of GM:S are you using?

17. jackhigh24

jackhigh24 Member

also are you using texture_set_repeat any where

actually that would show same problem on both if it was that, its more likly its winodws 8 64bit that the problem as i know you have to do extra things with that to get some things working right in GMS id go for windows 7 as you can then release the game for windows 7 and upwards if its built on windows 10 or windows 8 it cant go on a system lower than the one built with