• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Bug: Tile layers with offset not rendering all tiles in IDE

V

viniciuscsg

If you create a tile layer and give it a negative vertical offset (ex: -12 y offset), the expected behavior is that the tile grid visible on the IDE will show a little higher, but you should still be able to paint tiles and see those tiles in every cell of the tile map grid shown while in IDE. It is naturally possible that some of the upper tiles are rendered beyond the room our beyond the view on runtime, and that is not the issue here. The issue is the following, regarding lower rows, inside view/room, and I believe it is a bug in IDE:

If the negative vertical offset of a tile layer is equal to or larger than the vertical height of the cells of that same tile layer, then not only the whole tile grid is rendered higher on the screen (expected behavior) but also some of the lowest rows of tiles are invisible/not rendered on IDE. Those rows that are affected by the issue still exist in the IDE, the grid is there, mouse hovering over the affected cells still provides tolltip about the cell's x, cell's y and tile id, but the tiles themselves are not shown while on IDE. Tiles are still painted on those rows (however blindly), including autotiles. On runtime all tiles show fine, including the ones obscured by this issue on IDE, the issue is restricted to IDE.

The number of the lower rows whose tiles are not rendered on IDE beacuse of this issue seems to be directly proportional to the negative vertical offset and the fixed cell height of that tile layer. For instance, in my project I have 5 tile layers, named "Tiles_0" to "Tiles_4". All the tile layers have 24x12 cells and are the size of the room.
  • "Tiles_0" has no vertical offset, and thus no issue;
  • "Tiles_1" has -12 of vertical offset. Since the negative offset is lower than tile height, there's no issue;
  • "Tiles_2" has -24 vertical offset, the tilemap grid is correctly shown 24 pixels higher, but the lowest row of tiles, which are have 12 px of height are not rendered on IDE, but can be painted etc, and show on runtime;
  • "Tiles_3" has -36 vertical offset, the tilemap grid is correctly shown 36 pixels higher, but the two lowest rows of tiles, which sum 24 px of height, are not rendered on IDE, but can be painted etc, and show on runtime;
  • And so on
Therefore it seems that a number of tile rows with a total height equal to how much the vertical offset of the layer exceeds a single tile's height, is cut off from rendering on IDE, on the opposite side of the currently defined offset. While it still works on run time, it makes level building harder/impossible after a certain level of offset is reached, and this doesn't looks like intended behavior at all.

rIKmAN

If you create a tile layer and give it a negative vertical offset (ex: -12 y offset), the expected behavior is that the tile grid visible on the IDE will show a little higher, but you should still be able to paint tiles and see those tiles in every cell of the tile map grid shown while in IDE. It is naturally possible that some of the upper tiles are rendered beyond the room our beyond the view on runtime, and that is not the issue here. The issue is the following, regarding lower rows, inside view/room, and I believe it is a bug in IDE:

If the negative vertical offset of a tile layer is equal to or larger than the vertical height of the cells of that same tile layer, then not only the whole tile grid is rendered higher on the screen (expected behavior) but also some of the lowest rows of tiles are invisible/not rendered on IDE. Those rows that are affected by the issue still exist in the IDE, the grid is there, mouse hovering over the affected cells still provides tolltip about the cell's x, cell's y and tile id, but the tiles themselves are not shown while on IDE. Tiles are still painted on those rows (however blindly), including autotiles. On runtime all tiles show fine, including the ones obscured by this issue on IDE, the issue is restricted to IDE.

The number of the lower rows whose tiles are not rendered on IDE beacuse of this issue seems to be directly proportional to the negative vertical offset and the fixed cell height of that tile layer. For instance, in my project I have 5 tile layers, named "Tiles_0" to "Tiles_4". All the tile layers have 24x12 cells and are the size of the room.
  • "Tiles_0" has no vertical offset, and thus no issue;
  • "Tiles_1" has -12 of vertical offset. Since the negative offset is lower than tile height, there's no issue;
  • "Tiles_2" has -24 vertical offset, the tilemap grid is correctly shown 24 pixels higher, but the lowest row of tiles, which are have 12 px of height are not rendered on IDE, but can be painted etc, and show on runtime;
  • "Tiles_3" has -36 vertical offset, the tilemap grid is correctly shown 36 pixels higher, but the two lowest rows of tiles, which sum 24 px of height, are not rendered on IDE, but can be painted etc, and show on runtime;
  • And so on
Therefore it seems that a number of tile rows with a total height equal to how much the vertical offset of the layer exceeds a single tile's height, is cut off from rendering on IDE, on the opposite side of the currently defined offset. While it still works on run time, it makes level building harder/impossible after a certain level of offset is reached, and this doesn't looks like intended behavior at all.
Best thing you can do is to create a small project showing the issue in the IDE, file a bug report and attach the project (or a link to the project) so they can reproduce it easily and confirm the bug.

V

viniciuscsg

ok! I will do that. I was under the impression this board was the place to file bug reports, and I just noticed the option on the app, sorry :)

rIKmAN

ok! I will do that. I was under the impression this board was the place to file bug reports, and I just noticed the option on the app, sorry :)
The only place to officially file bug reports is through the YYG support website (directly or using the menu in the IDE which you found), but you are free to post on here regarding any bugs you find to get peoples opinions and suggestions etc.

However if you don't actually file them the proper way then they won't get officially "looked at" by YYG and added to Mantis if they get confirmed.

Welcome to the community btw!

V

viniciuscsg

Thank you, I just filled it and added some screenshots, I'll post it here in case anyone is interested.
It is pretty weird:
IDE BUG TILE LAYER SCREENSHOT .png

V

viniciuscsg

Ok, I have just updated for new version and the issue actually got WORSE. Now it is not just that the cut off tiles wont get rendered while in IDE, now the lower tiles affected by the issue cannot even be PAINTED on IDE, so naturally wont render anything at runtime. The cause of the issue remains the same on the current build, it happens whenever a tile layer has an offset larger than the size a tile unit on the given tileset. Should I fill another bug report stating it happens in the current version or is there any way to update on the last report??? This will make my level building impossible, while before it was just a relevant nuisance.

Edit: Correction, It is still possible to paint on the tile rows affected by the issue, but it is not possible to paint over them with the Rectangle(R) tool on the room editor. Line tool and pencil tool work "correctly" if you forgive the fact that the tiles just painted wont show in the IDE, and only render when the game is running.

Last edited by a moderator: