• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

UWP Bug: The Check Native SDK feature in Preferences isn’t working for me.

W

Wahib Yousaf

Can anybody help me out here?

I’ve installed Visual Studio 2017 (both Community and Studio versions). I’ve Turned On Developer Mode on my pc. I’m running Windows 10. I’ve gone through the steps for “Developing on Windows Universal Platform” shown on the YoYoGames website.

I’ve installed Windows 10 SDK. But for some reason when I try to validate it in Game Maker Studio’s Preferences -> Windows UWP section, it shows this message:

“Failed. Can not locate Makepri.exe in Windows UAP Sdk tools directory.”

Please help me, as I really want to develop for UWP and this error is stopping me from doing so.

rIKmAN

I’ve installed Visual Studio 2017 (both Community and Studio versions). I’ve Turned On Developer Mode on my pc. I’m running Windows 10. I’ve gone through the steps for “Developing on Windows Universal Platform” shown on the YoYoGames website.

I’ve installed Windows 10 SDK. But for some reason when I try to validate it in Game Maker Studio’s Preferences -> Windows UWP section, it shows this message:

Please help me, as I really want to develop for UWP and this error is stopping me from doing so.
Which version of GMS are you using?

chamaeleon

If you use GM:S 1.4, you need to use VS 2015 for UWP per https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216753748-SDK-Version-Support

W

Wahib Yousaf

Thanks @chamaeleon . Is that the same for GM Studio 2 as well though? You see what I’m intending to do is intially test my game for UWP in GMS, but eventually port it to my Windows package version for Studio 2. My final game build will actually be from Studio 2.

Sorry about the confusion. I tried in Studio 2 and got the same error. That’s why I’m asking.

@rIKmAN, I’m using v1.4.1773

chamaeleon

Thanks @chamaeleon . Is that the same for GM Studio 2 as well though? You see what I’m intending to do is intially test my game for UWP in GMS, but eventually port it to my Windows package version for Studio 2. My final game build will actually be from Studio 2.

Sorry about the confusion. I tried in Studio 2 and got the same error. That’s why I’m asking.

@rIKmAN, I’m using v1.4.1773
Visual Studio 2015 or 2017 is required when building Windows YYC or anything to do with UWP or consoles

Btw, both pages are reached from the Help->Required SDKs menu.

W

Wahib Yousaf

(Sorry about double-posting. My attempt to edit my earlier comment wasn't working for some reason. :/ )
Update I managed to get it PASSED. I think I'll eventually do a YouTube video on UWP exporting covering all the 'bumps/obstacles' in the way, to help other 1st time UWP devs. I just have a few queries left:

1. I cannot Play the UWP build in the IDE, nor the AppX file itself because of this message. Does anybody know how/where I find the actual Certificate? Will I only get it after signing up and paying the fee to be a Microsoft Developer?

This is the message that appeared in the Compile window upon trying to start it:
Before installing this app, you need to do the following:
- Install the signing certificate
Administrator credentials are required to continue. Please accept the UAC prompt and provide your administrator password if asked.

2. If I also apply for the Xbox Live Creators membership, are there any additional charges? And is it permanently added to my Export list? Or is it a 12-month thing in GM Studio 1.4 like it is with GM Studio 2?