• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Bug? Scoping, or instance variables treated as arguments

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Started trying to work on a game, and ran into a weird error problem when making scripts for movement - after I added the line that's on line 3 here, I get this weird argument error from inside the script. Can scripts not access instance variables anymore or is this just some sort of bug?
upload_2016-12-15_20-27-6.png

EDIT: character_free() was just an empty script at the time of writing, but the error went away once I filled it in (despite the error message complaining about arguments to ps_ordinary instead of character_free). It appears multitasking under certain circumstances gets handles/IDs mixed up.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This isn't a bug, its detecting your script wasn't using any arguments. As soon as you have code that uses argument0 and argument1 the error will go away.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Ah, I think I can see the correct interpretation now... the error is found in ps_ordinary, but it's not about ps_ordinary's input arguments? I guess the ambiguous message just confused me.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Ah, I think I can see the correct interpretation now... the error is found in ps_ordinary, but it's not about ps_ordinary's input arguments? I guess the ambiguous message just confused me.
No... the error is about: character_free

the error is in the ps_ordinary... (line 4) you called a script.. with two arguments (character_free).. and the script (character_free) was empty and not using any arguments...