Bug in builtin function is_real

Found what seems like a bug in GameMaker Studio 2:

is_real() returns false when passed an enum even though enums are treated as ints in every other case I can find.

The documentation for is_real says it "returns whether a given variable is a real number (single, double or integer) or not" and passing the enum to is_int64 returns true, so it seems is_real should be able to tell that it's an integer and respond correctly.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Have you reported this bug to the bug tracker? ("Help --> Report a Bug" should open the page up automatically in your default browser)

An integer is a separate type from real in GameMaker. See the typeof() entry in the manual for a list of types.

Also, enums are their own type, and can only be integers, from the manual page Data Types:

The enum entries can only be integer numbers or expressions with previous enums that evaluate to an integer number, and by default are numbered from 0 upwards, so our example given above would default to red = 0, orange = 1, yellow = 2, etc...
Edit : But yeah, given that the manual says is_real() can identify integers, its a bug in the docs / or function.

Skeletor

The documentation for is_real says it "returns whether a given variable is a real number (single, double or integer) or not"
The manual doesn't say that at all, it says this

This function returns whether a given variable is a real number or not.
Nothing about single, double, or integer is mentioned.

A 'real' is not an integer. A real is a double precision number. As a result an enum won't be a real.

** EDIT - Sorry, turns out I was viewing the online manual for 1.4 **

Last edited:
The manual doesn't say that at all, it says this

Nothing about single, double, or integer is mentioned.

A 'real' is not an integer. A real is a double precision number. As a result an enum won't be a real.
Looks like that is from the 1.4 documentation.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
IIRC enum values are compiled as 64-bit integers, so you'd want is_int64.

Or, save yourself some sanity, and make an is_number script that's is_real||is_bool||is_int32||is_int64

IIRC enum values are compiled as 64-bit integers, so you'd want is_int64.

Or, save yourself some sanity, and make an is_number script that's is_real||is_bool||is_int32||is_int64
Indeed! I've replaced it with a custom one that does what I expect. Hopefully posting here will save someone else from an hour or two of head scratching.

Have you reported this bug to the bug tracker? ("Help --> Report a Bug" should open the page up automatically in your default browser)
Thanks for the tip. This is the first time I've found something that seems like it may be a legit bug rather than just something I'd prefer to work differently than it does so I hadn't noticed the report menu option.