• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Beta Brush based levels

M

Multimagyar

I've been experimenting with brush based levels since a good while to load them and build level structure and even if I want collisions to them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khusqjxehj14glu/brushbasedmaps.rar?dl=0

excuse me for the console on the screenshot

simply put what a brush based level structure does is giving you planes with different kind of information and where ever 3 planes collide there is a vertex point. The point will be eliminated if there is a 4th plane in play that's position is "behind" the point.

What I extended upon so I looked into the valve docs how the VMF file works and made a compiler to turn it into a "map2" format extended with displacement information. It now can load map and this "map2" format. Any map quake styled map files formatted correctly will be loaded.

I mostly posted this one now for testing purposes. Performance feedback etc. Make sure if you end up for some reason experimenting yourself don't make too big levels currently each texture goes into one vertex buffer and portals for different sections currently does not exists. So large levels on own risk. I made sure the loading sequence stays active so you see it did not crash or die.

Map files with special brushes or objects will have they unrecognized objects rejected and pushed as an error in the console as well as any unrecognized material.

you can bring up the console with the escape key.

there are a few left over commands but what you would need is:

map <map name>
quit

I added two maps to this build:
metroid
first

console is case sensitive with commands but not with files.

.map file loading is a legacy feature console will yell at you about it.

If you manage to break it or if something seems off let me know. And please try to break with not a console command.
The menu does not work right now you need to use the console.
Also yes the light engine is not right, right now.

I'll make the source open soon probably with just the loading and managing. So the light system, the console and any other unnecessary part will not be included.

Freddy Jones

Your Main Detective
Hey! I've checked out your rendering engine and it's a pretty nice looking map! I didn't extract the files so I was viewing some "fill in textures". As far as speed, I got a consistent 30FPS in heavy areas, and 60FPS looking up. I'm on a laptop, with a 960GTX(mobile?) and an intel i7

M

Multimagyar

Hey! I've checked out your rendering engine and it's a pretty nice looking map! I didn't extract the files so I was viewing some "fill in textures". As far as speed, I got a consistent 30FPS in heavy areas, and 60FPS looking up. I'm on a laptop, with a 960GTX(mobile?) and an intel i7
oh man that must have been a lot of purple and black boxes. some missing texture was intentionally left on metroid for test purposes. so like a whole house and everything that is not terrain is dead.
dropped to 30? may I request the heavy environment through an image or anything to see where it is that it dropped to 30 FPS?