Browser Game

Discussion in 'Programming' started by Safen80, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Safen80

Safen80 Member

Dear Comunity,
    i am new user, sorry for my bad english, i am a develouper c++ and php.

I'm looking for an engine that can program in C ++ or similar languages, which allows me to create multiplayer browser games. In addition I would like to know what kind of database uses gamemaker and if it is able to realize a browser game. I would also like to know if I can use gamemakers to create professional desktop programs for work and small programs for mobile, always for work. Programs for work I mean graphical interfaces that connect to a given database located on a server.

2. Taddio

Taddio Member

You can definately do browser games, but you will need the HTML license. As for "work programs", I don't know, you will have to verify it, because GM is sandboxed.
    Note that GM uses it's own language (GML) and not C-family, but it's learning curve is really easy.
    But as far as making games, it can do a lot, if you have the time, skill and knowledge to do so (or are willing to learn).

3. Safen80

Safen80 Member

I have read that it is not a language like C ++, it does not use to differentiate heap memory with stack which makes it very similar to PHP (my first language), for me learning how to use it should not be a problem. But I need it because I do not want to pay 450eur per month of QT license to develop apps or programs for desktopo / mobile. And if in the compromise I can also insert a system to create online MMO videogames in 2d then I think GM is my ideal engine. That's why I want to know if I can develop "work programs" with GM and its language. Basically I think you can do but not knowing the versatility with which I can change and use the database, perhaps the question is +, this language that uses GM allows me to create a database as I say and always intertwine as I say?

4. Catan

Catan Member

GM is, imho, not suited at all for creating "work" applications for desktop nor mobile, since it does not provide features you normally require when creating this kind of apps, like integration with the native user interface or his own UI framework. It also does not provide any native database solution, and file handling is a bit limited.
    If the database is somewhere on a server though, a common solution is to use a PHP interface, paired with GM ability to perform HTTP calls.

You can of course do almost anything with it if you are willing to program things yourself, you can for example program native extensions in other languages (like C++ on windows, or java on android), or program your own graphical interface that mimics the one of the platform you are working on, but it's something you don't get out of the box.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  5. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

If you want actual C++ with memory management for a browser game, you could use Emscripten with bindings for one or other JS-specific rendering library (like Pixi.js). GameMaker Language is closer to JavaScript, with either implicit (garbage collection) or simplified (index-based instead of memory addresses) memory management.

As it was already said above, you would not trust the client application in a game to do database management directly - that's the server's job, and the server can be written in whatever you want (like C++) so long as you can find a WebSocket/WebRTC library.