• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Broken sprite editor for years and nobody notices?

K

Kiiryu

So, the image editor has had some broken features for I think about two years now. Namely the pencil tool, and the rectangle tool.

Proper pencil tool (EA version 1.99.355)
https://i.gyazo.com/ad24fac812842f9bdfd7e0fa1e43c560.gif

Broken pencil tool (Every version after that, EA or otherwise)
https://i.gyazo.com/4fe14580eb38a56d86b36f20b131defc.gif

The rectangle tools are also broken (try starting on a pixel, and going left)

This is frustrating because I've reported it numerous times since then, and received responses acknowledging it. Yet, it's been almost two years of versions and it hasn't been fixed. What really baffles me, though, is that I haven't seen anyone else mention it (Every other GM user I know has the same problem, and only notices once I show them).

I understand that not everyone uses the sprite editor, but for those who do, this renders it useless because it doesn't have a reliable workflow (sometimes lines break, sometimes they don't). I wish that more people realized this happens and complained about it so that it would be a big enough problem for them to actually fix. I think the base features of GM should be a pretty high priority, especially considering that new users are often going to go straight to the sprite editor, and when it's broken it's not a good first impression.

I don't want to use EA 1.99.355 for the next five years....

Z

zendraw

i also send a ticket or w/e it was for the same issue, also if you havent noticed when you use the rotate option in animation tab it doesnt rotate in the center for some reason, but around it. before 1.4 i think the editor was good, after that these problems started happening.

I think they're pretty much done with GMS1.x. Probably trying to get GMS2.0 released, since it's like....two years late now or something? Can't say I'm not happy they're kind of giving up on 1.x if it means 2.0 will finally come out soon. Also, the built-in sprite editor is terrible compared to everything else out there. Get a real art program like GraphicsGale, Pyxel Edit, or AseSprite, and never look back. ;)

K

Kiiryu

I think they're pretty much done with GMS1.x. Probably trying to get GMS2.0 released, since it's like....two years late now or something? Can't say I'm not happy they're kind of giving up on 1.x if it means 2.0 will finally come out soon. Also, the built-in sprite editor is terrible compared to everything else out there. Get a real art program like GraphicsGale, Pyxel Edit, or AseSprite, and never look back. ;)
GM tends to be the faster option when doing average sprites, quick edits, etc. Using an external program is another step in the process, so it should only be done when it's tools are going to save time. I only use Aseprite when I'm doing something long, with a lot of layers, and even then I miss some elements of GM, such as it's color picker.

GM's image editor is an important part of the pipeline for a lot of devs, and in most ways it's far better than what it used to be.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm with you on those. Not the most severe bugs (especially not if you work in the 16x16 range like me), but when they DO happen, they're pretty annoying.

Z

zendraw

the editor is part of the product and it shuld be intakt, otherwise its like your payng for a defekted produkt which wasnt defekted before. they shuld atleast say somthing about it why arent they fixing this small issue and will it be fixed, and this is an issue, not a suggestion or somthing to add or modify or improve, just in case some1 starts sayng they dont improve any more on the 1.x version.

K

Kiiryu

Not only was it not broken before, but they know pretty much exactly which version it started being broken in -__-