• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Game Mechanics Brainstorming about a Volfied Style Game

B

Baycosinus

Hey there! I'm currently working on a game which is similar to Volfied - Space cropper. That you simply crop the background sprite and unleash the next-level's sprite's blurred image.

Since i'm new on GM, i'm having trouble designing the gameplay. Need some clues about the parts i'll list below. Thanks for any help!

-Character is invincible if its on edge of the playable area.
-Character needs to press an unlock key to be able to exit safe area. (In volfied, it was space + arrows)
-The path character walked draws a line and when character arrives to another safe area, it crops the background sprite and defines the new safe area.
-Character always crops the side where the boss is NOT on.
-After cropping more than 80% of the sprite, level succeeds and starts next level/room

Hope i'm clear with the things i need help with. Any help, idea is appreciated. Thanks! <3