Alpha BossMan: A Management Survival Game - Have a Video!

J

Jamblefoot

bossmanBanner.png
Hey everybody, I'd like to share with you a game that I've been working on. You can download on GameJolt or Itch.io. The current build is 0.6.56. You can also find a more complete description with controls and such, as well as some attempt at a devlog.

It's called BossMan, and it's a 2-d top-down management survival simulation in which you must motivate unpaid interns to make widgets so that you might someday get a more permanent position with the worst company in the world. Your primary means of motivation is a baseball bat, and you'll probably get shanked for using it, but it's all in the name of StufCo.

The game is still very much a work-in-progress. A lot of things about it are pretty crude, but it's at a point where I think you can actually play it and get a feel for what I'm trying to do.

Thank you for your time.

BossManPlayerDeath.gif

P.S. The tutorial needs work. EDIT: The tutorial's a bit better, now. Plus, there are a bunch of onscreen prompts.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jamblefoot

Hey, thanks so much for checking it out and posting the video. I didn't realize the Gamejolt thing required a client download. Here's a link to a google drive folder with the .exe.

It looks like that crash was for a missing object and some lazy coding, so I'll be sure to check that out soon, but it'll probably change a bit as I work out some way of doing an actual usable tutorial and implement that.

As for the saving, It saves at particular times, and I'll go ahead and make that a bit more robust so that it actually saves when you hit that "save & quit" button. Basically, at this point, it saves every 15 seconds while the day is running, but yeah, great feedback. Will change posthaste.

Thanks so much ElectricDonkey for giving it a go despite its buggy state. You are the boss, indeed.

Also, no idea what that licensing stuff was about.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jamblefoot

Thanks again, Donkey. I've instituted some changes based on some things you said and that I observed during your video. So here's what's up:

There are prompts on the screen to act as a tutorial and get things started.
There are now a bunch of key prompts with some light context sensitivity.
Several other changes. For instance, I took out the numbers that I was using to indicate intern ids and their corresponding beds/workstations and put more emphasis on basic visual prompts. I think it works a lot better and sure looks cleaner.

Whatever it is, I think it's a step in the right direction, and I'm excited to share it with y'all. Now I gotta figure out sound.

E

ElectricdonkeyYT

Thanks again, Donkey. I've instituted some changes based on some things you said and that I observed during your video. So here's what's up:

There are prompts on the screen to act as a tutorial and get things started.
There are now a bunch of key prompts with some light context sensitivity.
Several other changes. For instance, I took out the numbers that I was using to indicate intern ids and their corresponding beds/workstations and put more emphasis on basic visual prompts. I think it works a lot better and sure looks cleaner.

Whatever it is, I think it's a step in the right direction, and I'm excited to share it with y'all. Now I gotta figure out sound.
I'm glad to see change is happening! I believe the mark of a strong developper is one that listens to constructive feedback. Good job and I'll look forward to coming back to this in a month or two :)

J

Jamblefoot

I've added BossMan to Itch.io for people to check out there. The new version (0.6.54) is a small yet vast improvement over past versions. I'm not really sure where to begin, but things are working a lot better and I'm excited for people to check it out.

If you've checked out BossMan, you'll probably notice that there's a serious lack of screenshots and video coverage of the game. I hope to rectify this soon.

Those flush toilets, though. I'm not sure if this is an improvement or just a disgusting distraction, but in my management experience, dealing with turds is a definite Thing.

J

Jamblefoot

Hey everybody, just wanted to post to say I've uploaded the latest build of BossMan, and it's working better than ever. I figured out the solution to a janky collision that was happening when an object held by the player hit a wall. The solution was to move the player away from the wall rather than the held object. Probably obvious stuff, but it makes a world of difference.

That's it. I'm gonna try to put together some screenshots and such here pretty soon. Thanks so much for your time.

J

Jamblefoot

Hey everybody, hope this video thing works for you. This has taken a bit, but I got sidetracked and only just now got around to downloading a free video editor to snip some bits off a clip. Hope you like it, and remember to check it out on Game Jolt or Itch.io if you'd care to have a go.

Thanks!