Alpha BossMan: A Management Survival Game - Have a Video!

Jamblefoot

bossmanBanner.png
Hey everybody, I'd like to share with you a game that I've been working on. You can download on GameJolt or Itch.io. The current build is 0.6.56. You can also find a more complete description with controls and such, as well as some attempt at a devlog.

It's called BossMan, and it's a 2-d top-down management survival simulation in which you must motivate unpaid interns to make widgets so that you might someday get a more permanent position with the worst company in the world. Your primary means of motivation is a baseball bat, and you'll probably get shanked for using it, but it's all in the name of StufCo.

The game is still very much a work-in-progress. A lot of things about it are pretty crude, but it's at a point where I think you can actually play it and get a feel for what I'm trying to do.

Thank you for your time.

BossManPlayerDeath.gif

P.S. The tutorial needs work. EDIT: The tutorial's a bit better, now. Plus, there are a bunch of onscreen prompts.

Last edited:

Jamblefoot

Hey, thanks so much for checking it out and posting the video. I didn't realize the Gamejolt thing required a client download. Here's a link to a google drive folder with the .exe.

It looks like that crash was for a missing object and some lazy coding, so I'll be sure to check that out soon, but it'll probably change a bit as I work out some way of doing an actual usable tutorial and implement that.

As for the saving, It saves at particular times, and I'll go ahead and make that a bit more robust so that it actually saves when you hit that "save & quit" button. Basically, at this point, it saves every 15 seconds while the day is running, but yeah, great feedback. Will change posthaste.

Thanks so much ElectricDonkey for giving it a go despite its buggy state. You are the boss, indeed.

Also, no idea what that licensing stuff was about.

Last edited:

Jamblefoot

Thanks again, Donkey. I've instituted some changes based on some things you said and that I observed during your video. So here's what's up:

There are prompts on the screen to act as a tutorial and get things started.
There are now a bunch of key prompts with some light context sensitivity.
Several other changes. For instance, I took out the numbers that I was using to indicate intern ids and their corresponding beds/workstations and put more emphasis on basic visual prompts. I think it works a lot better and sure looks cleaner.

Whatever it is, I think it's a step in the right direction, and I'm excited to share it with y'all. Now I gotta figure out sound.

E

ElectricdonkeyYT

Thanks again, Donkey. I've instituted some changes based on some things you said and that I observed during your video. So here's what's up:

There are prompts on the screen to act as a tutorial and get things started.
There are now a bunch of key prompts with some light context sensitivity.
Several other changes. For instance, I took out the numbers that I was using to indicate intern ids and their corresponding beds/workstations and put more emphasis on basic visual prompts. I think it works a lot better and sure looks cleaner.

Whatever it is, I think it's a step in the right direction, and I'm excited to share it with y'all. Now I gotta figure out sound.
I'm glad to see change is happening! I believe the mark of a strong developper is one that listens to constructive feedback. Good job and I'll look forward to coming back to this in a month or two :)

Jamblefoot

I've added BossMan to Itch.io for people to check out there. The new version (0.6.54) is a small yet vast improvement over past versions. I'm not really sure where to begin, but things are working a lot better and I'm excited for people to check it out.

If you've checked out BossMan, you'll probably notice that there's a serious lack of screenshots and video coverage of the game. I hope to rectify this soon.

Those flush toilets, though. I'm not sure if this is an improvement or just a disgusting distraction, but in my management experience, dealing with turds is a definite Thing.

Jamblefoot

Hey everybody, just wanted to post to say I've uploaded the latest build of BossMan, and it's working better than ever. I figured out the solution to a janky collision that was happening when an object held by the player hit a wall. The solution was to move the player away from the wall rather than the held object. Probably obvious stuff, but it makes a world of difference.

That's it. I'm gonna try to put together some screenshots and such here pretty soon. Thanks so much for your time.

Jamblefoot

Hey everybody, hope this video thing works for you. This has taken a bit, but I got sidetracked and only just now got around to downloading a free video editor to snip some bits off a clip. Hope you like it, and remember to check it out on Game Jolt or Itch.io if you'd care to have a go.

Thanks!