• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design boss ideas

phillipPbor

I need support for the boss obj. and art style. you see I was trying to make a tank robot for the alpha demo.
sprite80_0.png my idea was for a tank bot to move at the player in slow movement speed =1, to have the shield that covers the weak spot that you could jump on, but if not, you die. and if you swap color then it would vanish. but it need a weapon. I heard nozzle are a bit "cliché" and stupid. so what can I do? or better yet... what can you do? I mean I am stuck with ideas that I don't have enough.
what if I can make a buzz-saw? no, I don't think that's fair, or maybe twin pistils? guns as arms? I should suggest making a robot increase and decrease the neck length so the robot would be hard to get.
I start to think I need it from you guys. see what you can do.

D

DyingSilence

It can shoot harpoons and grapple itself if the ground is hit.
It can emit pulse waves, of which the player is warned some time earlier. It can plant mines/spike traps and then change the gravity.

Here are some ideas.

phillipPbor

It can shoot harpoons and grapple itself if the ground is hit.
It can emit pulse waves, of which the player is warned some time earlier. It can plant mines/spike traps and then change the gravity.

Here are some ideas.
maybe a bigger tank would be possible. remember the (new) super Mario bros. DS? (monty tank)?

you can climb on the nozzles, that shoot bullets.

D

DyingSilence

I don't play Nintendo games, but that may be a good idea.

The most important thing is to design the attacks to complete each other in some interesting ways. Remember, that bosses shall be exciting and challenging.

It's good to combine patterns. There are two directions you can go with this:

1. Tank that's switching guns, to signalize what attack will happen next.
2. A tower of guns on wheels, every gun does it's own thing.

These cases demand radically different design approaches - the first is about timing and fairness, but also making an actual challenge in single attack or pattern. The second needs much consideraction - with so much going on, will it be always fair and avoidable? I have a sniper attack and a rainy attack. What third, a beam? Homing rockets? Bouncy bombs?

I hope it will help.

phillipPbor

I don't play Nintendo games, but that may be a good idea.

The most important thing is to design the attacks to complete each other in some interesting ways. Remember, that bosses shall be exciting and challenging.

It's good to combine patterns. There are two directions you can go with this:

1. Tank that's switching guns, to signalize what attack will happen next.
2. A tower of guns on wheels, every gun does it's own thing.

These cases demand radically different design approaches - the first is about timing and fairness, but also making an actual challenge in single attack or pattern. The second needs much consideraction - with so much going on, will it be always fair and avoidable? I have a sniper attack and a rainy attack. What third, a beam? Homing rockets? Bouncy bombs?

I hope it will help.

I decide... to make a robot do the buzzsaw weapon. because the buzzsaw is the only one hit attack the robot only gets. a buzzsaw rotating arounf the robot boss back and forth to protect itself, while the robot is moving back and forth.
boss.PNG
here. its like from little big planet 1 the enemy bots used in a final boss.

Last edited: