• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Design Boss designs + gameplay in a boss fight

D

Deleted member 467

In my game I've been designing what I believe to be some pretty cool boss fights (for all I know they are the worst things known to man). However, before I go on some radical programming adventure for the next ... 6 or so months I would like some feedback design wise on whether or not I should change anything.

First off I will have 2 different categories of bosses in the game, and you only get to fight one category per play through depending on the random number the game generates at the beginning of the game. (Note: You most likely won't know what you got until thirty minutes into the game)
The two categories are Temple bosses, and Dungeon bosses. Temple bosses will be more spiritual bosses (think ghosts, reapers, etc) and Dungeon bosses will be more physical (think cryptids like the Yeti).

Throughout these 4 temples/dungeons you will be able to acquire the same weapons and gear, but use them at different areas. For example:
You can get the Hook in the Ghost Temple, and the Fire Dungeon.
You can get the Lunar Sword in the Ghost Dungeon, and the Fire Temple.
You can get the Hydro Armor in the Ice Temple and Forest Dungeon
You can get the Fire Staff in the Ice Dungeon and Air Temple.

So everything is kind of balanced in the sense you can still get the same items and make use of them in similar ways.

For one of my fights (the Ghost Temple) I was thinking of the fight kind of going like this:

The reaper (who by the way takes up almost all of the screen. I am trying to make these new bosses very large) attacks by swinging his arms, shooting out fire targeted at the player, and little ghost/wraith things try to attack you, too. You must hit the reaper 10 times with a ranged weapon (the only ones you could have at the October release are the bow and ice staff, later on maybe the fire staff)
After he has been hit ten times he stops attacking, you shoot him with the hook, climb his chest, enter his mouth, and fall to his heart. Once there you must cut some veins, use the hook on the heart, climb, and enter the heart's interior. In there you shoot his life gem, a small cutscene happens, and you beat the boss.

For the Ghost Dungeon you fight a winged hourglass (apparently they're associated with death).
The winged hourglass, Zeit, fires Chrono Plasma at you - which slows or speeds you up for five seconds. Miniature winged eyes generate each time Zeit fires Chrono Plasma, so you have two problems to avoid.
In this fight you use the Lunar Sword to highlight certain platforms you can move on, reach the lower section of Zeit's hourglass, and enter it. In there you work your way to the middle section, activate switches to stop his Chrono Plasma from reaching the lower section, and climb back down. Down there you use a bomb on the lower section, and you're transported into a wormhole. It's basically a tunnel you travel across, avoiding Chrono Plasma, and at the end you win.

--

I know this would be better with videos, pictures, or something but I currently have none yet - though I should soon. (Kind of have to if I want this update out by October 24th)

I guess maybe answer these questions or give feedback of your own...

a. Does fighting either the Temple bosses or Dungeon bosses per play of the game in this context sound okay?
b. Does the way I'm splitting weapons and gear sound okay or should I make it different?
c. Does my reaper fight sound okay? (ie. Too complex, too simple, boring, etc.)
d. Basically item c but for Zeit.
e. Anything else you might have to add.

D

Deleted member 467

@KingdomOfGamez appreciate the feedback :)

Regarding Zeit difficulty - I'll see what I can do to make that easier, at least on paper

Explosions - there will be explosions.

Flashes - sure :)

Sound effects - I kind of have to at this point :p