Boolean variable seems to be ignored

Sargonnas

I.D.E. 2.2.5.481
Runtime 2.2.5.378

I'm having an issue where my Puppeted variable is not getting updated by a timeline. I have confirmed that the Puppeted variable is not being set to true by the timeline by printing debug messages and printing its status on screen while playing. Other moments in the timeline DO occur and affect the player, but even when I put Puppeting to true in other moments it does not take effect. When called, the timeline is set to position 0 and is set to running with the following code:
Code:
if (activated)
{
    if Timeline != noone
    {
        Actor.timeline_index = Timeline;
        Actor.timeline_position = 0;
        Actor.timeline_running = true;
    }
    instance_destroy();
}
When I searched all instances of "Puppeted" throughout my code, I only got 6 results, including one result in the same timeline but at the end, setting the Puppeted value back to false. This seems just plain broken to me, but hell I'm still a novice and I'm hoping someone can point out how stupid I'm being. This has been happening for several days, and I have cleaned up the code several times already.PuppetedIssue.jpg[/code]

Last edited:

Nidoking

That search doesn't match the code in the screenshot. I think you might need to clean your project and rebuild, because something is wrong.

Oh, right, you say you did that. No idea then. This is about where I would file a Help Desk ticket or remake the project.

Roldy

Put a breakpoint or show_debug_message in the script you set Puppeted=true. See if it is getting hit.

Why does the screen shot show walk_up_examine_mineral-moment(0) line 5 has Puppeted=true, but the search results shows walk_on-moment(0) line 3 has Puppeted=true

As @Nidoking said try to Build->Clean (CTRL-F7).

Sargonnas

Put a breakpoint or show_debug_message in the script you set Puppeted=true. See if it is getting hit.

Why does the screen shot show walk_up_examine_mineral-moment(0) line 5 has Puppeted=true, but the search results shows walk_on-moment(0) line 3 has Puppeted=true

As @Nidoking said try to Build->Clean (CTRL-F7).
walk_on is a different timeline that gets applied when the character enters a new room. It works in that timeline, but not in this one.

Roldy

walk_on is a different timeline that gets applied when the character enters a new room. It works in that timeline, but not in this one.
That was the point of the question. The search results do not show 'Puppeted = true' in the walk_up_examine_mineral moment 0 timeline.

Why?

Sargonnas

That was the point of the question. The search results do not show 'Puppeted = true' in the walk_up_examine_mineral moment 0 timeline.

Why?
Why is absolutely the question. I've put a break point in there, and run debug messages. That area of the timeline is being completely ignored, it does not even appear on searches.
The walk_on timeline works, but this one does not. I've been experiencing more and more strangeness too...I just installed the new version and its still malfunctioning.

I've also got sprites refusing to render all of a sudden, or rendering as black squares, and more bits of code that are ghosting, but that might be unrelated?

I should also state that cleaning has had no effect.