• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Blurry when moving

N

Noobc0re

When my character moves it becomes blurry. The faster, the blurrier.

Is there any way to stop that from happening?

Are your character sprites so small like 8x8 or 16x16? and your view resolution is small too? Does it happen only when you go diagonally or does it happen when you go vertically/horizontally?

N

Noobc0re

Are your character sprites so small like 8x8 or 16x16? and your view resolution is small too? Does it happen only when you go diagonally or does it happen when you go vertically/horizontally?
My character is 104x170(WxH).
The room view is 1024X768, the default I presume.

it happens in all movement directions, but since the horizontal speed so much higher it really shows on horizontal movement.

hogwater

I get visual noise on my character sprite when I move horizontally. I took a screenshot with printscreen and there's no noise. Maybe it's just my tv, haven't tested on other monitors yet.

I

icuurd12b42

Most people reporting this problem usually dont realize they are witnessing an optical illusion. High contrast between the background of a single color with the character usually also of one color will cause your eyes to blur the motion

N

Noobc0re

Most people reporting this problem usually dont realize they are witnessing an optical illusion. High contrast between the background of a single color with the character usually also of one color will cause your eyes to blur the motion
Well that's bad. Especially considering I'm trying to make a black and white game.

I

icuurd12b42

reduce the contrast. Not pure black and gray instead of white... and add other white, I mean gray (possibly moving) things on the screen

J

JetpackFox

if your speed is below 1 that could make your player seem blurry when moving.

N

NeonBits

Maybe it's the screen resolution in room editor? I get lost in these things but I think I've read somewhere that the size of the room and the port to the screen need to be correctly configured or the pixels won't look ok.

And, I don't know if I'm correct or not, but if the number of texture swaps and or the number of vertex batches is greater than the room speed, it can create "waves" on the screen? That's what I get. You can use "show_debug_overlay" in one object to see.

edit: ahhh that was posted in 2017, I should have looked ...

D

Deleted member 13992

Could be a number of things depending on how you define blurry. Is it like, the blur photoshop filter? Where there is an actual smoothing/smearing of adjacent pixels? Or is it jittery in motion? Does the blur persist if you take a screenshot of your character while moving fast?

RangerX

Can you screenshot the blur?
yes - then its a prob with you game.
no - its the blur occuring because of high contrast movement vs the crappity of your monitor.

It really is that simple. :)