• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Blurry sprite movement

I know this question has been asked many times, but I'm having great difficulty moving forward with my game. It seems that no matter what I try I can't remove blurring when my sprites move.

I recently started a completely new game for testing with just one 32x32 sprite and simple code to move left and right.

Code:
if keyboard_check(vk_left)
{
   x-=4;
}

if keyboard_check(vk_right)
{
   x+=4;
}
"Interpolation colors between pixels" is disabled and "use synchronization to avoid tearing" is enabled.

I created a room with 960x960 dimensions. I need these to be equal so when the camera rotates the game play area will remain the same.

My camera properties have a resolution of 960x540, and with an XPos of 0 and a YPos of 210 to center the view vertically. My viewport properties are the same as the camera, but with with an XPos of 0 and a YPos of 0.

I think my set-up is okay, but player movement is blurry and I don't know why. I tried lowering the resolution in all areas accordingly, checked "clear display buffer" and "clear viewport background" with no luck.

Please correct me if I am way off the mark with my implementation and provide some guidance to help me remove the blur. I've watched many videos on scaling and resolution, but I still can't quite get it right. I hope I explained everything adequately.

Thanks much!

Warspite2

Not sure if this will correct your issue but you can try fps, fps_real or game_set_speed. Also I assume you have this code in a step event? If so try begin step and end step.

Can you take a screen shot of the player when they are moving. You can use the Prt Srcn button. Also take a video of it moving.

Sometimes the monitor is the cause of bluriness if the screen shot is not blurry.

Sorry for the terribly long delay.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how MY game is blurry. Every other game I own (500+ on Steam and many others) and play on the same TV/Monitor is not. I tested on two desktop monitors and a 40" TV. I'm in the middle of a course in GM and all projects run without blur.

I'm really having trouble with this and it unfortunately has completely stopped me from coding any further.

@Warspite2 My game is set to run at 60fps. May you please clarify your suggestion? I do not have that in my code.

S

spoonsinbunnies

chances are you have something that makes your character player coordinates between pixels, this is usually the problem with blur I've ran into the most. of you've added a friction that's not a whole number or something of the sort that will do it.

O

OthmanSaleh

I remember that would happen to me when I move objects using decimals (eg. 0.5 or 0.25). For the sake of trying, you can try to move the object 4.5 and see if at some points it would unblur and other points blur again. Hopefully that helps. :)

S

spoonsinbunnies

I remember that would happen to me when I move objects using decimals (eg. 0.5 or 0.25). For the sake of trying, you can try to move the object 4.5 and see if at some points it would unblur and other points blur again. Hopefully that helps. :)
the easiest fix to this tbh is in the draw use
draw_sprite(round(x),round(y),sprite_index,image_index)
that may be out of order but that will essentially allow a non pixel perfect movement but draw it as if the game is pixel perfect.

O

OthmanSaleh

the easiest fix to this tbh is in the draw use
draw_sprite(round(x),round(y),sprite_index,image_index)
that may be out of order but that will essentially allow a non pixel perfect movement but draw it as if the game is pixel perfect.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I posted wasn't meant as a fix, but rather a troubleshoot to pin point the problem.

I do not have any movement that is not a whole number. My movement is +4 or -4.

Are there any issues with my resolution, camera, port, sprite size(which was lowered to 32x32 from 128x128)? Or perhaps my global settings? I'd greatly appreciate any further suggestions. Thanks!

UPDATE:
I took a snapshot of my movement and there is no blur when I paste it into Paint. However, I'm confused as to why I am getting the blur.

Any other suggestions/comments? I'm really disheartened and having difficulty moving forward because of the blur.

Last edited: