GameMaker blurry animations/movements

D

Deleted member 13992

I am having this exact same problem, @maranpis did you happen to find a solution?
If the OP's video blurry to you? If yes, it's possibly a monitor issue (the sprite is pretty sharp on good monitors).

Try this to test your monitor.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I split this into its own topic. While it may be the same kind of issue, your problem has nothing to do with anyone else's problem, and we can't diagnose your problem based on someone else's problem description. ;) (Also, the topic was four years old!)

Therefore, let's start with the usual. Please take and post a screenshot that demonstrates the issue. If you can't see it in screenshots, state so and post a screenshot anyway.

Last edited:
I was able to solve my jittering problem by scaling the game up to match the monitors resolution when fullscreen (please tell me if this is a bad idea) and now I am moving on to my next problem whenever my player sprite moves at literally a speed of 1 it will blur fullscreen and not fullscreen, I have interpolation set to off and I did the monitor test thing and the aliens looked ok to me, and I also tested this on like 5 different views (tv's laptop, friends monitor, etc) and it persists I have a refresh rate of 144 hrz so I dont think it is likely my monitor here is a link, I recorded it on xbox game bar so it caps the recording fps at 30 but it has the same results

I must have looked at 10 articles and never found a solution
if you have any idea of what it is please help!

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
I was able to solve my jittering problem by scaling the game up to match the monitors resolution when fullscreen (please tell me if this is a bad idea)
Depends. Does the game window's size evenly divide the monitor's resolution in both dimensions? If so, that's fine. Otherwise, you just introduced more distortion.

now I am moving on to my next problem whenever my player sprite moves at literally a speed of 1 it will blur fullscreen and not fullscreen, I have interpolation set to off and I did the monitor test thing and the aliens looked ok to me, and I also tested this on like 5 different views (tv's laptop, friends monitor, etc) and it persists I have a refresh rate of 144 hrz so I dont think it is likely my monitor here is a link, I recorded it on xbox game bar so it caps the recording fps at 30 but it

I must have looked at 10 articles and never found a solution
if you have any idea of what it is please help!
I appreciate the sentiment of trying to capture the issue on video, but due to how video compression works (which, most prominently of all of its side effects, adds blur), it's a rather disadvantageous medium to choose when trying to illustrate blur. It's a bit like handing me binoculars with a green-tinted lens and then telling me that the sky looks green. Because, given the medium, of course it will! ;)

For this reason, I can't - at least not with absolute accuracy - determine where the issue stems from when the only material for diagnosis is a video.

Please stick to screenshots.

Tyg

We just solved a problem with a gun lagging, probably how you are doing your updates

ok so it does not appear in screenshots :(. does this mean it is my monitor? I also try pausing the game and it does not show up too. the strange thing is the ghosting only appears when I move horizontally not vertically, is that just common knowledge?

D

Deleted member 13992

what is your movement code?
doesn't hurt to check.

also, there are different ways of minimizing apparent jitterness/ghosting with movement. will your camera be in a fixed position in the room? or will it be following the player? things like that.

Tyg

You have some kind of shadow its either being drawn from the object or attatched to it or the actual sprite itself, is that what your talking about?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
ok so it does not appear in screenshots :(. does this mean it is my monitor? I also try pausing the game and it does not show up too. the strange thing is the ghosting only appears when I move horizontally not vertically, is that just common knowledge?
Most likely your monitor if it doesn't show up on a screenshot. That's a dead giveaway.

However, I've dealt with other cases where people described the problem as a blur when it really was something else, and the second part of your reply makes me think that may be the case. Feel free to post your project (or PM it to me) and I'll take a look.

Most likely your monitor if it doesn't show up on a screenshot. That's a dead giveaway.

However, I've dealt with other cases where people described the problem as a blur when it really was something else, and the second part of your reply makes me think that may be the case. Feel free to post your project (or PM it to me) and I'll take a look.
By project do you mean the YYC or VM or the literal YYP? sorry for being extremely dumb with this

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Either of these will do if it's just to figure out whether I see any blur when running the game. The "running the game" part is crucial for that, nothing else.

Either of these will do if it's just to figure out whether I see any blur when running the game. The "running the game" part is crucial for that, nothing else.
Sorry I took so long, something extremely important came up that I would rather not get into details about, I have not really had the time to work on my game. Today I did some more digging around and found that it is in fact NOT monitor ghosting because when I run the game super slow It seems to be switching between pixels, and when I run the game extremely fast (im talking 9999 room speed) the player blurring is gone but now I can actually see monitor ghosting that is semi transparently following the player. Any ideas on what this is?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Looks like a still image to me. I can't see anything wrong with it aside from heavy compression artifacts that will make it impossible to accurately diagnose any visual issues, so please try to get this sorted for the next post.

To be clear, when I said "record a GIF", I meant an animated, uncompressed or losslessly compressed GIF.