• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Blurring Bullets in GMS 1.4

P

PipiAndBibis

Hi, I'm working on a shmup in Game Maker Studio 1.4. Sprite interpolation is off, pixels are scaled evenly, etc. but regardless any time the player ship fires the bullets blur to hell and back.

The thing is, I can't even screenshot this. It doesn't appear in screenshots. It also doesn't appear in gifs (which are recorded slower than the actual gameplay).

The bullets need to fire quickly, so I can't really reduce the speed at all. I've read a lot of threads on here that mention it being an issue with monitor refresh rate, but what I don't understand is why the bullets only blur for me in Game Maker and not in any other games. If I were to open MAME right now and load up Battle Garegga or Armed Police Batrider or any other arcade shoot-em-up, the bullets would fire fast but remain clearly visible. I don't understand what the problem is, or how I can correct it. The bullets move at an even speed, also.

mimusic

If you play the gifs at the same speed that gameplay runs at, do you start to see the blur again? If so, do you have a different computer / monitor / smart device that you can play the gif back on?

When people mention your refresh rate, they're likely talking about ghosting. I'm not an expert of the issue, but I'm p sure this is caused by your monitor not having enough time to wipe away the previous frame before having to render the new one. This would explain why you can't observe it in the low-speed gif, since you say the gif is running slower than actual gameplay. What's the refresh rate and response time of the monitor / laptop screen, and what's the running speed of your GMS project? While I'm at it, what refresh rate does your OS think the monitor is on?

The reason you might not see this in other games depends on multiple possible factors, too. Could be that the games run at a low enough FPS already, or that MAME was built to compensate for this issue in some way.

P

PipiAndBibis

My refresh rate is 60hz, and the game file is running at 60fps. The response time for my monitor is 8ms.
The blurring is less evident in gifs since I can only seem to record at 33fps max.

It might be FPS related, like you said.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If it doesn't show up on screenshots, then it's an issue with the hardware and there's nothing you can do. And by that, I mean the limits of monitors and human vision.