• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GameMaker "Blurring" and individual drawn sprite?...

A

Ayziak

So I've recently redone a bit of the shadows in my game to be more accurate. I've made it so that an object draws another object's sprite from the base and stretched it (with draw_sprite_pos) to dynamically match the light objects. (If my description wasn't clear, you can see it here:
)
However, I feel that if I was able to blur the drawn shadow, it would be a lot more realistic. I am very aware that blur shaders are full screen, as they use surfaces, but I was just wondering if anyone had any other solutions or ideas.

Either way, thanks for reading.

Also, I just thought I'd include my idea for what it could look like (Photoshop).

obscene

Shaders are not fullscreen. Just find a basic blur shader, set it, draw the sprite, reset the shader. Tweak values til you get the right look.

sp202

I'd recommend drawing all shadows onto a surface anyway and then applying the shader to that. Far more efficient assuming the player isn't the only entity with a shadow.