• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

BLOODREAMER [Major UPDATE] changed environment

MIchael PS

BLOODREAMER v. 0.2.8

Hello,

Me and the other members of Raw Egg Studio are curently working on a game called BLOODREAMER!!!
You are stuck in your own mind and you try to wake up, fighting all your nightmarish monsters that are crawling in you imagination...

Here is a link to the game
https://raw-egg-studio.itch.io/bloddreamer-demo

-A new MAJOR update here: 0.2.4

Scrns 5.png

Things changed:

-New environment
-Advanced Lighting
-More weapons (+7 new weapons)
-More enemies (+ 3 new enemies)
-New camera system
-Better ambience music (procedurally generated)
-New, way better, music track for the menu
-An ICON for the game

Scrns 9.png

That's all for now but we are going to update a new Version soon...

Scrns 8.png

I wanna thanks every one of you played the game and / or commented!!!
I DO appreciate it!
I would like to hear your opinions, ideas and whatever you wanna say about the game!!!

Thanks for you time !!!
Michael (and Raw Egg Studio)

Last edited:

andev

This is really cool, a great start to something if you keep it up! The colors are amazing, and swinging the weapon is very satisfying. However, the way the camera turns and the perspective the enemies are drawn tricked me into thinking it was a platformer (not top down). So I'd either turn that down or off entirely?

If you could make it a bit harder to lose health, that would be good. I feel sure at one point an enemy spawned on top of me because I went down from 3 straight to 1? I don't know.
Finally, weapon drops despawn if you walk away? :( How can I see which weapon is better if I don't have time to compare, there's no stats page or anything.

But keep it up, I will follow this topic to see where it goes! I might also try and do something myself with this colorscheme in the future, it's badass!

MIchael PS

This is really cool, a great start to something if you keep it up! The colors are amazing, and swinging the weapon is very satisfying. However, the way the camera turns and the perspective the enemies are drawn tricked me into thinking it was a platformer (not top down). So I'd either turn that down or off entirely?

If you could make it a bit harder to lose health, that would be good. I feel sure at one point an enemy spawned on top of me because I went down from 3 straight to 1? I don't know.
Finally, weapon drops despawn if you walk away? :( How can I see which weapon is better if I don't have time to compare, there's no stats page or anything.

But keep it up, I will follow this topic to see where it goes! I might also try and do something myself with this colorscheme in the future, it's badass!

I will make the turning able to turn it (huh) off. There will be a journal that will say all the info you need about the weapons!!!
Thanks for your interest!!!
if you have ideas to make the gameplay more juicy just tell me, thanks again!!!

andev

if you have ideas to make the gameplay more juicy just tell me
More detail in the world? Leaves, skulls, bones, rubble, walls, grass, flowers, sticks, rocks, vines, puddles. Obstacles? Trees, walls, buildings. Different enemies? Health? xp? Drops? Persistent chests? :rolleyes:

Z

zendraw

well i guess nothing from the game is telling me.
'your stuck into your own mind and fightng your nightmares creatures'

NicoFIDI

It's a lot to take in...
I like it in general aspect but it made me question certain things
- What are the roguelike elements?
- Do you have the precise collision turned on in the sickle?

I found it fun to play, but it quickly gave me motion sickness...
And the reduce shake bar didn't help at all

I don't mean to tell you how to do things I just happened to find this video not long ago and maybe it helps

MIchael PS

It's a lot to take in...
I like it in general aspect but it made me question certain things
- What are the roguelike elements?
- Do you have the precise collision turned on in the sickle?

I found it fun to play, but it quickly gave me motion sickness...
And the reduce shake bar didn't help at all

I don't mean to tell you how to do things I just happened to find this video not long ago and maybe it helps
As you mentioned no, the scythe had no presice collision checking. I just fixed it, thanks. Well the rogulike elements are the permenent death and the rpg kind of thing (I can see what you mean: one of the most basics r/l elements is missing, the procedurally generated levels). Well thε screen shake βare does not control the camera sway, it controls, as it says, the scr. shake. I will take the camera swinging off (althought you will be able to enable it).
The video you send is awesome!!!!
I will defenetly use it THAKS!!!

If any idea comes to your mind please sare it with me, I would be grateful !!!

MIchael PS

More detail in the world? Leaves, skulls, bones, rubble, walls, grass, flowers, sticks, rocks, vines, puddles. Obstacles? Trees, walls, buildings. Different enemies? Health? xp? Drops? Persistent chests? :rolleyes:
Well I can see a HUGE problem that the game has. The hp is tooooooo low. The game you downloaded currently has 9 different enemies, 2 minibosses , HP drops and 9 different weapons. Having so little hp it is too difficult to explore the game feel and the enemies!!! I will change it. In some days I will upload a newer version with more HP and fixed camera.

NicoFIDI

As you mentioned no, the scythe had no presice collision checking. I just fixed it, thanks. Well the rogulike elements are the permenent death and the rpg kind of thing (I can see what you mean: one of the most basics r/l elements is missing, the procedurally generated levels). Well thε screen shake βare does not control the camera sway, it controls, as it says, the scr. shake. I will take the camera swinging off (althought you will be able to enable it).
The video you send is awesome!!!!
I will defenetly use it THAKS!!!

If any idea comes to your mind please sare it with me, I would be grateful !!!
I'm glad you liked it :D
I like where are you taking the game.

But the things i could say are subjective (things i like more than things you need)

Still I find hard to relate the current game state with a roguelike.
The only sugestion i whould make it's to add some more roguelike elements or take the roguelike tittle away.

First of all, it's enjoyable at first try: it feels great kicking enemy's arses :D I really like the monsters too.

But I do agree with the previous comments:
-There's no rogue-like elements a part from the perma-death (and even this is not tied to the roguelike genre)

The only sugestion i whould make it's to add some more roguelike elements or take the roguelike tittle away.
100% agree, either design it to be a rogue like or just decide to make another kind of game, because for now it doesn't feel like it.

-Your minimalist art choice is interesting but white pixels on black background + dizzy camera = motion sickness simulator.
It's good you plan to disable it because it becomes unplayable after more than 5 minutes!

-Still on the artistic direction, it can be minimalist but I'd suggest at least adding more visual marks

-Weapons are great too, but lack diversity

All of this being said, it's an interesting project and I'm eager to see what It will become :)
Bon courage

MIchael PS

but lack diversity
I am thinking of adding some range weapons (a crossbow, a shotgun, a bow and some other ideas that I have) and a lot more melee. Are those enought or you any sugestions or/and ideas about it?
Also when you say more visual marks what are you talking to specific?

Thanks

(Also a new version with some stuff changed is going to be uploaded in the weekend)

MIchael PS

I'm glad you liked it :D
I like where are you taking the game.

But the things i could say are subjective (things i like more than things you need)

Hey thanks for every thing!
I am thinking of "rogueliking" and I try to decide what to do. I am not sure yet.
Also if you have time mention those "subjective ideas" you have: They are WAY MORE IMPORTANT than what you may thing!!!

Thanks a lot!!!

(As I said before: A new version with some stuff changed (and some more added) is going to be uploaded in the weekend)

Last edited:

NicoFIDI

Hey thanks for every thing!
I am thinking of "rogueliking" and I try to decide what to do. I am not sure yet.
Also if you have time mention those "subjective ideas" you have: They are WAY MORE IMPORTANT than what you may thing!!!

Thanks a lot!!!

(As I said before: A new version with some stuff changed (and some more added) is going to be uploaded in the weekend)
Well if you want it :p
I found the camera too close to the player, i had a really claustrofobic feeling while playing

About the roguelike elements, there's no need to add random generated maps (i personally love them tho).

The thing that defines the "permadeath" is not only the start from cero (if we think that way tetris have permadeath),
You need character progress to have something to loose when you die, something you care to loose.
If you add some buff you gain with your progress, or some kind of character growth then death becomes something to fear.

What i mean with i dont find the roguelikeness it's that having only one weapon at the time and having any weapon at any time.
Loosing only means that i have to wait to have my favorite weapon again, witch could be the first drop.
And roguelikes make you fear death almost every time.

Again, i dont want to sound rude :potato:

MIchael PS

A NEW version of the game is uploaded:

New update 0.1.2 :

-Better screenshake and no camera sway.
-Weapons now spawn depending on the level.
-More HP.
-Equalized difficulty.
-Better enemy spawn rate.
-Fixed: Colision Bug.
-Fixed: Scythe and spear problem.

Check it out?

Password: jklf05
Link to the game: https://raw-egg-studio.itch.io/bloddreamer-demo

Nice, it's already much better & playable, especially about that camera :)
I played it some more, it's a fun small game!

I am thinking of adding some range weapons (a crossbow, a shotgun, a bow and some other ideas that I have) and a lot more melee. Are those enought or you any sugestions or/and ideas about it?
For melee weapons, just a quick thought but a Flail would really suits the gameplay in my opinion.

Yup, having range weapon would be really nice to begin with!
I was thinking about some kind of magic (Spell Book (or just spell), Scrolls, Wand/Staff). It could be useful for Area Of Effect or dealing with a particular enemy, healing, get more speed, protection or anything you can think of...

Another thing, using Right click would be really useful and would add more possibilities. That's just my opinion but I feel like something is missing (I'm thinking about Shield blocking, dashing, using an object, set down a trap or something like this).

MIchael PS

Nice, it's already much better & playable, especially about that camera :)
I played it some more, it's a fun small game!

For melee weapons, just a quick thought but a Flail would really suits the gameplay in my opinion.

Yup, having range weapon would be really nice to begin with!
I was thinking about some kind of magic (Spell Book (or just spell), Scrolls, Wand/Staff). It could be useful for Area Of Effect or dealing with a particular enemy, healing, get more speed, protection or anything you can think of...

Another thing, using Right click would be really useful and would add more possibilities. That's just my opinion but I feel like something is missing (I'm thinking about Shield blocking, dashing, using an object, set down a trap or something like this).
Well Ι am thinking of adding the spells that you say as a form of power ups you will take through the game, in order to make you afraid to lose (as it was mentioned before).

Also I will make tha game in "5 sleep states" that will stand for areas. The last one will be the REM state where you will fight the boss to wake up (or loop the game).

You will collect Souls (now mentioned ass Kills) that you will use them to by more upgrates (Ι will add a SHOP!!!), power ups, etc...

Also I will add a flail it sounds REALLY fitting the gameplay!!!

Thanks for your interest and answer!!!

That's some really good ideas! Can't wait to see them added :)
Oh and
I meant something you eyes can rely on to understand where you are
For example, the level isn't infinite anyway, so might aswell have something that indicates the limit of the map.

And like andev suggested, wouldn't hurt to have some visual details into the game, unless you want to keep it minimalist, which is a choice.
You could do something nice with the background for example, it could respond with what's happening in the game or something.

NicoFIDI

I'll try to make the character yellow or some light blue,
because all enemy and effect are white (and red blood), so the momment the camera shakes you completly loose track of where you are :p
only the player whould change the colour :)

MIchael PS

Cryptic Hybrid made a video for my game, and I want to really thank him for that!!!
Hit him thumps up and subscribe , I already did, because he is really helping my with my game!!!
(By the way, because I don't want to be taken wrong, I don't personally know him and he didn't ask me to share his video, as I didn't ask him to make it)

Again I am really happy he did that and I DO apreciate his help!!!!
Also, thank you all, for saying your opinions and helping me out...

Here is the link to the video:

MIchael PS

I'll try to make the character yellow or some light blue,
because all enemy and effect are white (and red blood), so the momment the camera shakes you completly loose track of where you are :p
only the player whould change the colour :)
Well I thought of making the player stand out before, and I don't know how to do it. Changing the colour is not what I'am really thinking of because it will break the minimalistic 3-colours-atmospher I am looking for.
I need to work on that.
Thank you, and whatever you want, don't hesitate... :)

Can you describe this a little more?
Thanks!
I'm thinking of a slight flash when getting hurt, as if what's happening in the dream really hurts the person dreaming. It could also be when firing a certain item, depending on the number of kill or if there X enemy on the screen... But that would give some more interactivity in my opinion! Besides, it could look nice.

MIchael PS

I'm thinking of a slight flash when getting hurt, as if what's happening in the dream really hurts the person dreaming. It could also be when firing a certain item, depending on the number of kill or if there X enemy on the screen... But that would give some more interactivity in my opinion! Besides, it could look nice.
What do you mean when you say flash. There is a flash (I mean a bright white light when you hit an enemy and a bright red one when you get hit).
Sooo what do you really mean... ? :)

Sorry, not flash: I meant color variations or dim light... Maybe some shading could do the trick for example. But hey, that's your game, I'm just throwing ideas here :p

MIchael PS

-A new MAJOR update here: 0.2.4

Things changed:

-New environment
-Advanced Lighting
-More weapons (+7 new weapons)
-More enemies (+ 3 new enemies)
-New camera system
-Better ambience music (procedurally generated)
-Better music track for the menu
-An ICON for the game

The new version is here:
https://raw-egg-studio.itch.io/bloddreamer-demo

I hope you'll write your opinion on this update...
Thank you so much for everything!!!

Michael

Hey! Nice update :)

Looks way much better, lighting and camera system are really neat. The background is much better like that too. Feels more balanced overall

Some flaws: I find the background sound effects coming too often (but that may be random), Archers are still overpowered (but that may be that I suck :p)