• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Windows Blitz Game Remake

Alexx

Blitz was released by Peter Calver / Supersoft in 1979 on the VIC 20. Here is a remake.

Controls: Use Z to drop bombs.
Download:
http://www.gamemakerbook.com/exe/blitz.exe

Screen Shot of remake:

This game is part of a personal project to try and make 50 games in 50 days.
This game took about 2 hours to make.

The aim of the game is to try and destroy the buildings before you fly into them. This is done by dropping a bomb over the building. The style of game play means you have to press Z and drop the bomb at just the right time. In the original version the towers got higher and higher (and if I remember correctly) the plane got faster and faster - these are features I may add at a later date. edit: now added multiple levels that get progressively harder.

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Not bad for a one-day effort. Everything works and it seems bug free. Of course, there's a lot more you could do with this if you decide to continue it.

I would add the missing feature from the original, where the plane flies lower each pass. Otherwise, there's no sense of urgency or danger. Each pass is the same, so it feels repetitious. And perhaps try to make the plane's motion more smooth. It feels a bit jerky.

Graphically, I think this would be more interesting if the targets were different for different levels. Personally, I'm not that interested in bombing buildings. Maybe a battlefield scene would be better. Just my personal taste. But either way, the targets could have some variation. And of course, you could replace the red dot with a real-looking bomb.

Varying the targets would also improve the gameplay. Because right now, the first few passes don't require any timing. The game doesn't get interesting until some of the buildings are gone, so the bomb release requires some timing in order to score.

But it's a good start. And this would be a great choice for HTML5. Something you might consider.

Alexx

Thanks for the feedback.

I would add the missing feature from the original, where the plane flies lower each pass.

I've increased the distance that the plane drops on each pass.

And perhaps try to make the plane's motion more smooth. It feels a bit jerky.

I made it to appear jerky to be more like the original. It's now smoother.

And of course, you could replace the red dot with a real-looking bomb.

A bomb has been added.

Graphically, I think this would be more interesting if the targets were different for different levels. Personally, I'm not that interested in bombing buildings

The aim was to re-create the original style. This is a project I may come back to in the future.