Graphics Blendmode Masking (shadow maps, player overlays, etc)

GM Version: Studio 2
Target Platform: Windows desktop & OSX
Download: Links: N/A

Summary: A system using blend modes and surfaces that "masks out" sprites to a specified area AND can be easily implemented to your project.

One thing about me is that I'm extremely picky when it comes to precise graphics. So when I noticed my character shadows hung over ledges, I went crazy. It took me about a week to get it all worked out, but I've created a system using blend modes and surfaces that "masks out" sprites to a specified area AND can be easily implemented to your project.

What it looks like:
https://imgur.com/a/3nDWY6n

I've decided to share the system with you guys. Maybe someone will make a cool game using it :D

In the project is a small example of how everything works. Move the mouse around and you'll see that the black box is only visible in specific areas. Check out the room editor to see exactly where they are. One thing pretty unique with my system is that you can change the alpha of what you're trying to "mask out". In the demo you can use the arrow keys to find the appropriate alpha for your game to use.

I've commented through the code. I hope someone learns something from this and shows me something cool they did with it. <3

Last edited: