• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM blending 2 different tiles

Y

Yvalson

so currently I have a sand and a grass texture next to each other (they are tiles) is it possible to make them blend together to get a more natural look because it's quite strange to have sand going straight into grass.

I looked into texture blending but i'm not quite sure if that is what I'm looking for.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
If you don't feel like spending $20 then you could do it yourself. But you will have to learn about shaders.

You will have to draw everything manually though. So you need to supply the tile shader with the following data:
where what tile is, which tile has which texture.
I'd suggest you just put the textures on a single page like Mojo did in his marketplace asset.
Then what I'd do is draw all tiles to a surface with each tile only being a pixel wide. For this step you don't use the actual texture but rather a texture id.
Once you've got that you draw a big rectangle and you can make your main shader which calculates the current tile based on the texture coordinates on that rectangle, and then looks in your mapping surface what tiles it has to blend together.

This is pretty advanced stuff and you'd need a lot of programming experience to implement something like this.

Dmi7ry

I did a simple example some years ago: link. It shows how you can mix two textures by two ways - using blend modes and using shader (in most of cases this way is better). And it can be extended for multiple textures, like in Mojo's asset.

Y

Yvalson

thnx for the tips but i'm pretty time constrained so i'll make the blended textures myself and just place them in the room manually