• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free Blaster Cop

D

Danilo Provenzano

Great job!! How do you manage the collisions? :O i still wonder how to use in a good way game maker's 3d.

Arkhidexx

Great job!! How do you manage the collisions? :O i still wonder how to use in a good way game maker's 3d.
Oh, the collision, that was real pain!
Even now it bugs sometimes, and for bullets I had to use collision_line from x,y to xprevious,yprevious (with extra pixels), and then check collisions with walls in the path of that check. At least with that fast bullets won't fly through enemies without hitting them.

F

FruitPunchGuy

Blaster Cop
@Arkhidexx
Written by: @FruitPunchGuy
~~~

Blaster Cop is a first person shooter. The game starts off with text describing the game's context, and throws us in the shoes of a police officer hunting people using a drug-like substance.

The game plays out like the more classical shooters such as Wolfenstein 3D and Doom, but the character's movement feels fairly slow. Maneuvering is quite difficult as a result. You possess a number of mini-healthbars, and health regenerates for as many bars that still contain health. There's an array of weapons at your disposal, including but not limited to: pistols, shotguns, SMGs, assault rifles and explosives.

The game's art style is nice. The pallet, sprites and art assets all complement each other. However, there were a few things missed. For starters, the weapon animations aren't really fulfilling. When I shoot, it feels more like a slight nudge then a full on shot. Enemies don't appear to show any visible sign of damage, so you need to hope your shots connect.

The voiced lines sound robotic, almost as if a text-to-speech system was used. There were a few grammatical mistakes popping in here and there.

Most games either weigh gameplay or story, some being able to manage both quite well. Blaster Cop fits into the first category, but the issue with this is that it is unable to execute either. Blaster Cop isn't able to produce that adrenaline you'd expect from a classic shooter, and the story lacks depth. The game offers you the ability to slay or spare various in-game bosses, but you don't ever get to see your actions taking a toll on your game. The only difference this makes is a few lines of dialogue.

And one major complaint I hold is the lack of saving. Upon exiting to the menu, I realized I had to start all over again to get back to where I was. Having to go through levels I've already seen just to pick up where I left off is absolutely annoying.

The first level is something I feel was a let down. You need to make your project shine in it's first few minutes, as that's what most players will judge the rest of the game on.

Overall, it's a decent shooter. The idea behind it holds a lot of potential for a proper game, but the game itself is average at best. I am, however, definitely interested in seeing what the creator does next with the title, and sincerely hope he picks it up again.

The opinions and points of view offered in this review are not the opinions and points of view of the GMC Rad Reviewers, but from the author of the review. We are all humans; as such, we might have made a mistake or misinterpreted something when playing your game, so please share your thoughts of this review with us.