• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Blah

Pfap

How do you keep focused... or sane. I know first world entitlement can be toxic... but do you ever just ask why? Like the difference between maintaining state with a database and a stateless protocol (http) and how to maintain state with just a socket server? Does anybody care? And if no... well screw it what should I do?
Frustrated, tired, and dealing with others' expectations... what to do? And I realize the people who know the answers to the above question have bigger problems... lol.

tl;dr:

I should not drink alcohol.

N

NeonBits

wine cures cancer.
that's what they want you to believe. But, if it's truly the case, what should I do, plug the cure into my veins or drink the whole store in a year? Most importantly, what store size is the best cure?

M

Misty

that's what they want you to believe. But, if it's truly the case, what should I do, plug the cure into my veins or drink the whole store in a year? Most importantly, what store size is the best cure?
Just make sure it doesn't have sulfites.

N

NeonBits

So you're suggesting to feed directly from the producer? Landlord s gonna be mad seeing someone in the reserve. Maybe I should just forget about wines and buy myself some grapes... or a box of raisin bran? oh... yeah.... bht.... ughhh Grapes then! oh... yeah... insecticide.... aaaand gmo... it's the end of the world as we know and I feel fiiiiine..

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
I have an order of priorities to relieve stress. Works well, actually.

1: Keep yourself healthy. Eat and sleep above all else. When tired, sleep! When hungry, eat! This leads to increased productivity. Just don't eat when not hungry, nor sleep when not tired.

2: Work at what you want do for a living. And work hard! Just don't wear yourself out.

3: Go to your regular job, if you have one. If you don't have one and #2 isn't yet making money, get one!
This can raise itself in priority, as you want to keep this job and to do that it's IMPERATIVE that you show up. On time.

4: Keep yourself entertained. Set aside a little of the evening or morning to watch youtube, play games, or whatever you like to do. This is healthy in the proper amounts, but overdosage can be dangerous.

5: Lastly, do what others want of you. This doesn't even have to be on the list if you don't think it's possible/don't want to. "I wish I could but I don't want to" is totally valid. And no matter what, avoid feeling responsible for people's feelings in these situations. This can increase in priority if someone is in legitimate danger, or if your parents want you to do your chores, or if you have school.

Hope this helps!

M

Misty

How do you keep focused... or sane. I know first world entitlement can be toxic... but do you ever just ask why? Like the difference between maintaining state with a database and a stateless protocol (http) and how to maintain state with just a socket server? Does anybody care? And if no... well screw it what should I do?
Frustrated, tired, and dealing with others' expectations... what to do? And I realize the people who know the answers to the above question have bigger problems... lol.

tl;dr:

I should not drink alcohol.
I know what you mean.

I spend my days, slaving away, coding some of the most advanced algorithms known to man. And what do I get for it? I get to live the life of a poor person, with no fame, fortune, or love. (And also carpal tunnel.)

Some times I wonder is it even worth it, or should I just get a regular job, like sales or something.

In the olden days, with John Carmack and Nintendo, coding hard meant something. Now its like the market is saturated, and you can't even compete, and most of the competiton has 200 IQs meanwhile you are struggling with mental illness and even the motivation to even have the will to live.
this song makes me feel better:

Pfap

I know what you mean.

I spend my days, slaving away, coding some of the most advanced algorithms known to man. And what do I get for it? I get to live the life of a poor person, with no fame, fortune, or love. (And also carpal tunnel.)

Some times I wonder is it even worth it, or should I just get a regular job, like sales or something.

In the olden days, with John Carmack and Nintendo, coding hard meant something. Now its like the market is saturated, and you can't even compete, and most of the competiton has 200 IQs meanwhile you are struggling with mental illness and even the motivation to even have the will to live.
this song makes me feel better:

Thanks for reaching out :)

Lately I've just been trying to be honest if you know what I mean... just looking at things objectively and seeing them for what they are and not what I want them to be.

Anyways, it was my birthday so I go out drinking for the first time in a long while. On top of that I don't know when to stop when it comes to anything... sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing, pretty much always an embarrassing thing. So, I start drunk texting and I guess even made it onto the GMC.

Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy, lol.

And yea, I would say there is pretty much nothing good about alcohol, not that there is anything inherently wrong with it either.

M

Misty

Thanks for reaching out :)

Lately I've just been trying to be honest if you know what I mean... just looking at things objectively and seeing them for what they are and not what I want them to be.

Anyways, it was my birthday so I go out drinking for the first time in a long while. On top of that I don't know when to stop when it comes to anything... sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing, pretty much always an embarrassing thing. So, I start drunk texting and I guess even made it onto the GMC.

Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy, lol.

And yea, I would say there is pretty much nothing good about alcohol, not that there is anything inherently wrong with it either.
I don't see what is so bad about this post. It is just being honest, nowadays people are so pretentious and afraid to share their feelings with the world.

I think alcohol is good, at parties I am shy and reserved, fearful, judgey, and afraid. But when I drink booze, I no longer hate the people around me, and can talk to them as friends.

Bearman_18

Fruit Stand Deadbeat
@Misty there's nothing inherently wrong with booze. Just don't become an alcoholic. The only problem is that becoming an alcoholic can be easy.(I think it's genetic.) I can socialize easily, so I won't risk it myself. Just be careful! This goes for you as well, @Pfap. Definitely attempt socializing parties without it, guys, and you may surprise yourself!

Look at me, 17 and trying to tell adults what to do with there lives... Lol. No disrespect!

Also, if you don't have a regular job and game development doesn't make money yet, then getting one is wise. (Priority 3)

Pfap

@Misty @Bearman_18
Yup, I agree with both of you. Christmas and my birthday are about the only times I will drink alcohol. And I think I remember hearing that for some gene types (the types who become addicted) alcohol feels good only if the persons level of consumption continues to rise. Like a ramp as long as it is going up the person feels good, but if they stop or hit a plateau they lose that feeling... so to get it back they have another drink. So, one solution is to always sip... never line up the shots lol.

Jabbers

there's nothing inherently wrong with booze.
Well if you drink it, you metabolise it into acetaldehyde which is a category 1 carcinogenic. The American Cancer Society also lists "alcohol beverages" as well as "ethanol" as their own entries in this category. It's not just a weak link; other substances in category 1 include asbestos, plutonium, and smoking (which doesn't mean they are all equally harmful, but just how sure we are of their ability to cause cancer in humans).

Theoretically, any alcohol consumption is inherently bad for health, and although most of us have or will use alcohol to loosen up in social settings, it's a bad thing to start using it as a crutch. Alcohol can be fun, but it shouldn't be relied upon in this way. That's when you start developing a problem.

wine cures cancer.
Uh... it sure didn't help any of my aunts that had cancer. 2 aunts were super fit, even later in life. One had cancer in four organs which had to be removed. It still came back like a year later. Everyone else I knew with cancer had lung cancer due to their own smoking or their spouse's smoking.

N

NeonBits

Problem with drinks and similarities is that they're seen as a "product for adults".

Adults understand it can be harmful in many ways and the youth should stay away because of all the responsibilities, social and physical impacts that it means.

For the youth, it is seen as a "maturity authentication system" in their own circle; they challenge themselves, move through the same problems and repeat what it is said here, thinking it is part of life.

It is hard to make them view the marketing plan that makes them believe that a product is special, or tries to make them feel special in order to better get their money; influencing themselves, the youth become "free promoters" and companies win new consumers without a need to pay them a salary. Later, the illusion is gone, they get older and see the expression as "avoid or stay responsible".

To prevent damages, people promote the joy of getting togheter that has existed without a need of taking anything, and/or the possibilities that an individual can create. Happiness makes you want to wake up early the next day to continu the last one; the good part in this is that you will stay honnest with yourself and your choices, and won't get sick and addicted but healthy and stronger; your environment will become mature and intelligent, you will want to stay in such environment.

It is fun to meet friends, friends who are friends not because of candies but for friendship.

Last edited by a moderator: