1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

BlackHill [W.I.P]

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by CreativeJon90, Jun 11, 2019.

1. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

[​IMG]
    Black Hill is a story about a lone pig’s journey. Living alone most of his later life, young Bo (lead character) has only known his parents, both farmers born and raised. Unfortunately, life has a way of making us feel alone, and cold. Bo’s parents passed away a few years ago. Out of fear of the outside world, Bo stays on his little farm home, though still often wonders what is out there.

Inspirations:
    The games that inspired BlackHill are, Hollow Knight, Celeste, and The Legend of Zelda.

GAMEPLAY!
    The game is a mix of two perspectives, Platforming and Topdown
    I know, kind of weird right? We chose to mix these two because we wanted to bring a different feeling to the game. Platforming will deal is most of the combat, and puzzles, while topdown will deal more with exploration of the world and what it has to offer. There are a few things that we cant say yet, but we will update on any new features we add.

Here are a few Gifs from development and testing

[​IMG]

We are just testing some dialog stuff. We are working to make conversations as enjoyable as possible, and not just walls of text.

[​IMG]

While this game is still in development, we hope to keep everyone updated on new stuff that we add to the game.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Niels, sitebender, JackTurbo and 5 others like this.
  2. nacho_chicken

nacho_chicken Member

Some very pretty pixel art! The text size feels a bit small, though.

3. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

Much appreciated, you are correct. Text size is too small atm.
    With the next update we should have our ideal text size. Looking forward to hearing more feedback in future updates!

4. Fredrik

Fredrik Member

Looks great!
    I like the mix between platformer and topdown perspective. Reminds me of the old Zelda games.

5. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

Forgotten Forest Update

So after working with the mock up I slowly started to export all of the assets to the engine. Added a new section to the engine labeled "Forgotten forest" or "ff" for short.
    Then I started to work with the Parallax background and the way it moves.
    The forgotten forest is one of the first areas piggy (Bo) visits and while there is still more to do in terms of the rooms for this area, updating the games progress is something I will do as much as i can!

As always feedback is always welcomed (good/bad) and I look forward to all the feedback given!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  6. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

Hey! The visuals looks really nice! Animations are smooth....tile and background art are all very appealing. I like how you've used simple forms and flat colors to represent objects. Good stuff so far.

7. JackTurbo

JackTurbo Member

That's some nice tweening you got there. Lovely squash and stretch

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  8. Pfap

Pfap Member

This looks really good! I am really curious as to what's in the main characters backpack?

9. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

Playing with a bunch of different idea's but there will be things you can collect to learn more about the world and better understand some of the folks who live in this world as well. Thats something that I constantly think about since the game has the two perspectives.

Pfap likes this.
  10. Toque

Toque Member

Great stuff.

11. Pfap

Pfap Member

Yea, I thought it would be an integral part of the game and I just noticed the chicken has a backpack too. One of the first things that stuck out about the character was that he had a blue backpack and my mind instantly went to thinking about Banjo Kazooie.

12. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

There is a story reason why certain characters have them. But it's a great observation you made.
    And Yeah I love banjo kazooie as well. One of the best 3D platformers out there!

Pfap likes this.
  13. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

Been working on some room transitioning today. Might keep the fading transition. So far some feedback I have received is that the movement feels fluid and controls are tight.

Great feedback so far!
    Next will be to get the topdown area together.

[​IMG]

JackTurbo and sitebender like this.
  14. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

Hello Everyone!
    Another new update on project BlackHill. For those of you who do not follow me or my studio, i release updates on there as well! You can find me on twitter at https://twitter.com/CreativeJon90 or the studio at https://twitter.com/DinoByteSftwrks .

For this one I was basically up for the majority of the evening. [till 5am] I was creating the background, adjusting colors and implementing the assets into GamMakerStudio 2.

[​IMG]

aside from character interaction this area is pretty much completed. Piggy (Bo) will be able to do a few things here. Thanks to everyone who has been following so far, a new update will be coming out tomorrow as well.

Any and all feedback (good/bad) is greatly appreciated and welcomed!

JackTurbo, CMAllen, GarlicGuy and 2 others like this.
  15. sitebender

sitebender Member

Fantastic game with a lot of charm and pigs! I look forward to seeing a lot more. I think this will go places with how adorable it is.

16. GarlicGuy

GarlicGuy Member

REALLY like the art style. There's a Zelda 2 vibe that I'm picking up on too which is great.

17. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

Hey everyone!
    Been almost two weeks since last update and I apologize for that.
    In this update I want to show the progress that I have made when creating Sammy's Swamp.

[​IMG]

With the changes that were made, I had a lot of fun with it. I admit the first time around I was just throwing things around to get a general idea of what I was trying to make. Now that it has more of a defined look, it will be that much easier to create assets for it. Within GMS2, we are still working on the programming and getting things the way we want them to.

[​IMG]

I have also added a new character to the already long list of characters.

Meet MaXi, she a fun little cat who loves to stick her nose in anything that smells like adventure. She will probably often get in Piggy's(Bo) way.

In terms of music, our composer has created a preview to share. You can find it on soundcloud. So far he has been doing an amazing job with capturing the feel of the game. (https://soundcloud.com/broduxofficial/blackhill-ost-preview)

Here is also the link to the tweet that was posted, and if you haven't already follow us on twitter too keep up with all updates!

https://twitter.com/DinoByteSftwrks/status/1146500692779130881?s=20

Always we appreciate any feedback given.
    Thank You!

18. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

Update!

[​IMG]
    With this update I started to play around with the feeling of the area and how piggy (bo) would travel. while certain areas of the swamp can be traveled on foot, other you will need a guide!

Here in the swamp, Bo (piggy) will meet klaus. he will assist Bo in areas that cant be traveled by foot. What creatures will they see? Would they be friend or foe?

Sorry that the image isn't animated -_-
    I try to update with Gif images as they become available. Cant wait to update everyone soon!

Attached Files:

pixeltroid, CMAllen and sitebender like this.
  19. Edwin

Edwin Member

Looking great! Can we have a demo?

20. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

thanks for the feedback, unfortunately there is no publish demo for it yet.
    Its one of the things we are working on. However I will make a post about a demo once we have one ready for testing.

Edwin likes this.
  21. pixeltroid

pixeltroid Member

This is looking really good! Nice murky swamp-like colors.

I'll bet the parallaxing effect for that scene looks awesome! :)

sitebender likes this.
  22. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

Hey everyone! As most of you know, myself and a few others have been making the BlackHill game about piggy. This project is something I have been working towards since I first started pixel art. Now I need your help! Please take a moment to fill out the form. It will better help me understand what those who are looking forward to the game would like to have in support of this kickstarter. [Plushies, stickers ect.] Hope everyone has a great day/night. See you in the next update!

Here is the link to the survey. Cant wait to see what everyone submits!
    https://forms.gle/hTZoax1tttk2KtRD9

On another note, we managed to make it all the way to 600+ followers during the weekend. We hope everyone has an amazing Monday and if you haven't already, be sure to follow us to be updated on the project status on there as well!

[​IMG]

sitebender likes this.
  23. CreativeJon90

CreativeJon90 Member

Hey everyone New update!

Before I did say that I would make an announcement regarding a possible demo when more information is available. Currently there is a demo in the works but it is not yet stable. We want to make sure that when we release a demo test build, that it has as few bugs as possible. It wont be bug free but we don't want that to hinder your experience when playing

For those who are unaware we do have a discord server where we post updates on the game as well. We also hold contests for certain things like character creation, and in the future beta access rewards. If you like, feel free to join here ( https://discord.gg/Fs2PHe )

Currently this is what our main menu is looking like for the demo. We plan to keep it simple and effective for the moment. As far as duration it isn't clear on how long the demo would be, but we hope to have a clear answer by sometime in the future as well!

[​IMG]

The world of BlackHill is an interesting one, and we want to fill it with as many interesting characters as possible and each one having its own story background, and personality. (especially when you speak to them) This is a new character (of an existing character edit ) that I started to play around with. Not sure if it will be a exploration character you meet along the way or a townsfolk blacksmith.

[​IMG]

Aw man this was actually pretty fun to create. We have hired on a new artist to assist with character creation and animation. though currently in an early state, here is a little example of some of the enemies you may come accross in the game. [ Design is WIP and does not represent final look]

[​IMG]

LASTLY!!!

I hope that everyone has had an amazing day/night. Thank you for coming back to check up on updates and I look forward to updating everyone on what we are working on!

FOLLOW US ON TWITTER!
    https://twitter.com/DinoByteSftwrks

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    Brodux and CMAllen like this.