• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GML Visual Black Screen

S

Stephen Lawson

I have downloaded the trial version of Studio 2. I have just started the first part of creating a game using drag and drop functions. When I click run a black screen appears with nothing on it. A box appears that says, " PRESS WIN + G TO OPEN GAME BAR" Any help would be great.

S

Stephen Lawson

I'd really like to buy Game Maker, but I can't seem to get my game to run. Is there another program I must have running for the game to run? It's seems so easy in the Youtube video tutorials. He doesn't mention anything about this and I can't find anything online that can help.

Xer0botXer0

Senpai
You say black screen, did you create a room with a black background ? I really wouldn't give up after just one problem!

S

Stephen Lawson

No, it doesn't go to full screen. There is no option for me to open it in full screen.

S

Stephen Lawson

Yes, so far all I have in the game is a sprite. I have added two functions as per the tutorial (left and right movement with cursor) The tutorial is "Your first Game - Movement" (for beginners)

S

Stephen Lawson

Yes
Have you created an object? Have you set the object to use the sprite you've got? Have you placed the object in the room?
I have created an object it is assigned to the player image and it is in the room.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Post a link to your project, please. Something you have done isn't correct and it would be easier to have a quick look at the project than to keep asking questions based on what it could be (we could be here forever!)... :)

S

Stephen Lawson

I wouldn't know how to post a link..sorry I am a dummy when it comes to this..This is a project on my computer, so I don't know how you would gain access to it by me posting a link??

He means upload it somewhere on the net. I use this site: http://www.tinyupload.com/ but you can find tons by typing in "upload files" into google. You will have to export the project first though, that should be under the File menu in GM. Then upload the exported file.

S

Stephen Lawson

Post a link to your project, please. Something you have done isn't correct and it would be easier to have a quick look at the project than to keep asking questions based on what it could be (we could be here forever!)... :)
Thanks for your help. I found my problem. I had inadvertently opened a second room, so when I played the game it was opening this new blank room..I'm back on track. Thanks to everyone here, sorry to waste your time.

No worries, it's pretty hard to get started with a new program without some outside help, especially with something as complex as coding games.